Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the McCormick Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes launch as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I received free samples of McCormick Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes and I was compensated for my time. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.
While I don’t need to eat a gluten-free diet, I have a few acquaintances who do, for medical reasons. You may be in the same situation, or have a friend or family member who chooses to abstain from gluten for another reason. Whatever the reason, I’m never one to shy away from a recipe development challenge. I love flexing my creative muscles and figuring out a way to adapt any recipe for a specific nutritional need. I mean, I’ve even made vegetarian “chorizo” chili, and fed it to an unsuspecting husband. I love a challenge.
When McCormick asked if I wanted to help them launch their Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes, I had my eye on the Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning Mix right away. But making a pot of chili gluten-free is child’s play. Why not make a big pan of gluten-free chili lasagna? OK, to be honest, it turned out that wasn’t all that difficult, either. A quick trip down the pasta aisle of my grocery store led me to a variety of gluten-free lasagna noodle options. As long as I seasoned my beef and bean chili mixture with gluten-free seasoning, I was in the clear.
No matter what your reasons are for skipping gluten, McCormick is here to make sure that you don’t have to skip any flavor. Now, four favorite recipe mixes are gluten-free: Taco, Chili, Turkey Gravy (psssst – have a gluten-free guest for turkey day?) and Brown Gravy. Going gluten-free for any occasion has never tasted better. These delicious mixes are also priced the same as regular varieties!
Let me tell you, this Gluten-Free Chili Lasagna is FULL of flavor. With layers of pasta, beef and bean chili, and Colby Jack cheese, this is a hearty dish that everyone will enjoy. The chili part of the casserole comes together in just 20 minutes, and the combination of authentic seasonings and chili peppers in the McCormick mix seasons the meat perfectly. If you’d like, top the lasagna with Greek yogurt, avocado and green onions for a nutritious finishing touch.
Gluten-Free Chili Lasagna
- 12 gluten-free lasagna sheets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) reduced-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (1 ounce) McCormick Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning Mix
- Dash of sriracha
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Greek yogurt, sliced avocado and/or chopped green onions, for serving (optional)
- Heat large pot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon oil and cook as label directs. Drain, rinse pasta with cold water and drain again; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large high-sided skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through, breaking up meat with side of spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in beans, tomato sauce, seasoning mix and sriracha. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Place four pasta sheets in bottom of dish. Spread with 1/3 of beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake 15 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly. Let rest 15 minutes before serving topped with yogurt, avocado and/or green onions, if desired.