Grilled Avocado Crostini Board
Here in Michigan, we take eating and entertaining outdoors pretty seriously in the summer months. It’s because we can’t take it for granted. It’s not like we have mild temperatures all year – a backyard barbecue in February would just lead to frost bite all around. So in the summer, nearly all of our meals are eaten outside, just because they can be. Whether it’s a weeknight dinner for two, or a big backyard gathering with friends and neighbors, all food tastes best when eaten outdoors. It’s a proven fact.
And for those big gatherings, there’s nothing I like to create more than party platters and boards. From huge cheeseboards to meatball sub platters to salad boards, I’m pretty much obsessed. This Grilled Avocado Crostini Board is my newest (and perhaps, most epic) creation. To get started, simply grab a bunch of California Avocados, halve and pit them, and throw them on the grill.
I love California Avocados because they are nutritious and nutrient-dense – they’re packed with vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Once the avocados have nice grill marks and are slightly softened, throw them on a big board with toasted baguette and pumpernickel bread, and a bunch of spoons and forks. Let your guests scoop and smash the grilled avocado onto the crostini, and top with any or all of the following ingredient combinations:
- cherry tomatoes + sea salt
- hard boiled eggs + everything bagel seasoning
- sliced radishes + lemon juice + aleppo pepper
- cucumber + sriracha + lime juice
- strawberries + pine nuts + balsamic glaze
- green onions + lime juice + cracked black pepper
- prosciutto + lemon juice
Put everything in the center of the table and relax. Your work here is done. Everybody is happy!
- 1 French baguette, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch-thick (about 24 pieces)
- 6 slices Pumpernickel bread, quartered
- Olive oil
- 6 California avocados, halved and pitted
- Aleppo pepper
- Balsamic glaze
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cracked black pepper
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Hard boiled egg, sliced
- Lemon wedges
- Lime wedges
- Radishes, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Strawberries, sliced
- Toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bread pieces on rimmed baking pans and lightly brush both sides with olive oil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp, turning once.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Place avocados flesh side down on grill. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Arrange toasted bread, avocados and desired toppings on large board or platter. Offer plenty of spoons and forks for avocado scooping and mashing, and let guests assemble their own crostini.
More great crostini ideas:
- Smoked Salmon Crostini – with a sushi-style twist!
- Pizza Crostini Bar – set this up for a party!
- Butternut Squash & Pomegranate Crostini with Whipped Feta & Honey – one of my favorite recipes on this blog!
- Raisin Crostini with Blue Cheese & Apples – another good recipe for the fall.
Disclosure: This was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the California Avocado Commission. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.