Easy Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Twice Baked Potato Casserole can be assembled up to 3 days before baking, making it perfect for a potluck. Smashed redskins are mixed with lots of cheese and bacon!
This Easy Twice Baked Potato Casserole is the perfect side dish
While classic mashed potatoes will always have a special place in my heart, I see no problem with really jazzing them up sometimes.
This is the Midwest, so you know we love our casseroles, and this Twice Baked Potato Casserole is probably my favorite.
Let’s add some cream cheese, butter, bacon, cheese and chives, and take these to our next potluck!
Why you will love this this Recipe for Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Adapt this casserole to the ingredients you have on hand, including different cheese and herbs.
- Can be assembled up to 3 days before baking, making it a great option for a potluck or Friendsgiving.
- The pop of green chives amps up the visual appeal, making this a casserole that is actually kind of pretty.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe ingredients
- redskin potatoes – the hearty base of our casserole, these provide a rustic texture and flavor.
- bacon – whip up a batch of bacon in oven, or turkey bacon, if you prefer, to add a crunchy contrast to the potatoes.
- Colby Jack cheese – gives the casserole a gooey, indulgent creaminess.
- chives – provides a fresh, mild onion flavor and a pop of color.
- cream cheese – enhances the creaminess and contributes to the velvety texture of the potatoes.
- butter – adds a rich and luscious taste.
- milk – thins the casserole a bit to create a creamy consistency.
- garlic powder, salt and pepper – to season the casserole to perfection.
How to make Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole
- BOIL. Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and boil 15 to 20 minutes until they are very tender.
- PREP. Meanwhile, preheat the oven, spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray, and divide and set aside a little bit of bacon, cheese and chives for topping.
- MASH. Drain the potatoes and mash them, then stir in the cream cheese, butter, milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper and remaining bacon, cheese and chives.
- BAKE. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle it with the reserved bacon and cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly, then sprinkle with reserved chives.
Can I make Twice Baked Potato Casserole ahead of time?
While the recipe is written to boil the potatoes and then immediately mash them and bake the casserole, you CAN still prepare this ahead of time.
I would prepare the recipe through the middle of Step 4, including putting the mixture in a casserole dish and sprinkling it with bacon and cheese.
Then, allow the casserole to fully cool if it’s still a little warm. Cover and refrigerate the casserole overnight or up to 3 days.
To serve, allow the casserole to come to room temperature for 1 hour before proceeding with the rest of Step 4 (baking it). You may need to add 5 – 10 minutes to the baking time.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe Home Chef Tips
- This recipe leaves the skins on the potatoes, but you are completely welcome to peel your potatoes, if that’s what you prefer.
- Experiment with different types of cheeses, including sharp Cheddar, mozzarella or Gruyere.
- Try this dish using different herbs, including fresh parsley.
How to serve Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Serve this twice baked potato casserole recipe as a side dish for a holiday, or serve it on a weeknight to accompany a protein. Some main dish ideas include:
- Country Style Ribs
- Baby Back Ribs in Oven
- Buttermilk Chicken
- Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Salmon Bites
How to store Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole
Any leftover casserole can be cooled to room temperature, then covered tightly and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole?
This comes down to personal preference. Yes, you CAN freeze this casserole. But please be aware that the texture may change and the potatoes may become slightly watery.
If you’re OK with that, I would prepare the recipe through the middle of Step 4, including putting the mixture in a casserole dish and sprinkling it with bacon and cheese.
Then, allow the casserole to fully cool if it’s still a little warm. Tightly wrap and freeze the casserole for up to 2 months.
To serve, allow the casserole to thaw 24 – 48 hours in the refrigerator and then come to room temperature 1 hour before proceeding with the rest of Step 4 (baking it). You may need to add 15 to 20 minutes to the baking time.
- 1-1/2 pounds redskin potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 pound oven baked bacon, chopped and divided
- 8 ounces Colby Jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup (about one 1/2 oz. package) chopped fresh chives, divided
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in large pot and add just enough cold salted water to cover. Heat to boiling over high heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray medium casserole dish with cooking spray. Reserve 2 tablespoons chopped bacon, 1/4 cup Colby Jack cheese and 1 tablespoon chives and set aside.
- When potatoes are tender, remove from heat. Drain well and return to pot; roughly mash with potato masher. Add cream cheese, butter, milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper and remaining bacon and Colby Jack cheese, and stir until well combined. Gently fold in remaining chives.
- Spread in even layer in baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved bacon and Colby Jack cheese. Transfer to oven and bake 30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with reserved chives and serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 1129mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g