Did you know that if you scroll down to the very bottom of this page, you can see which six of my recipes are currently “reader favorites”? This little widget automatically updates to display the recipes that have gotten the most clicks in the past seven days.
As I’m writing this, four of those six spots are occupied by crockpot soups. Turns out, everybody loves slow cookin’, and why not? It’s an awesome, low-mess, less-time way to get a meal on the table!
This Slow Cooker Lentil & Sausage Soup is the kind of crock pot recipe I like best: where you just put all the ingredients in the pot (no advance cooking), set it for 8 hours, and come home and just ladle it into bowls. I’m a big fan of lentils for how filling (and cheap!) they are.
I used a mix of brown and green lentils here, just because that’s what I happened to have on hand, but feel free to use all brown or all green. I also used one of my current favorite ingredients – smoked turkey sausage. To me, it tastes almost identical to traditional smoked sausage, but has less calories and fat. Win-win!
If desired, top each bowl with a dollop of Greek yogurt, some fresh cilantro, a lime wedge for squeezing, and a side of naan bread. Or heck, just keep it super simple and ladle this soup directly out of the crockpot, insert spoon, and call it a day. Either way, you’re going to love this recipe!
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white and light green part only), thinly sliced
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into eighths
- Naan bread, for serving
- In bowl of slow cooker, stir celery, garlic, carrots, leek, sausage, lentils, tomato paste, curry powder, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper until well combined. Stir in broth. Cover and cook on low 8 hours (or on high 4 hours) or until lentils are tender.
- To serve, divide soup between bowls and top with yogurt and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and naan.
More great slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef’ Soup – my mom’s classic recipe
- Slow Cooker Carrot & Apple Soup – bookmark this one for fall
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup – a reader favorite
- Slow Cooker Barley & Chickpea Risotto – this one is also popular for a reason!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Apple Cider Chili – bookmark this for fall, too!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – better than takeout
- Crockpot Taco Soup – make a batch and freeze some for another meal!