Let your crockpot do the work for this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl. A healthful weeknight meal with big flavor! The family will love these chicken, bean, corn and rice bowls topped with colorful garnishes.
The town that I live in has a ton of great independent restaurants. I mean, seriously, we are so lucky to live here and have all of these options, especially during the kitchen remodel. I especially love that there’s not many chain restaurants in our town.
I’d always rather go to a local place instead of a chain, with one exception. When I’m craving a burrito bowl, it has to be from Chipotle (because I don’t know if any locally owned places that even make burrito bowls). And the nearest one is a legit 45 minute round trip, which seems kind of ridiculous.
About this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl:
The good news is that I tried my hand at making these Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls at home and I’m happy to say that they turned out great.
For this crock pot burrito bowl, just combine some boneless, skinless chicken thighs, a jar of chunky salsa, a bit of chili powder, and some chicken broth in the bowl of your slow cooker, and let it do it’s thing for 3-1/2 hours on high or 7-1/2 hours on low.
After that, you’ll shred the chicken, then stir in some instant brown rice, black beans and corn, and cook on high for 30 minutes longer. While that’s happening, go ahead and prep whatever garnishes you like.
I used sour cream (Greek yogurt works great, too!), shredded cheese, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, cilantro and limes for my Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls, but feel free to just choose a couple of those for a simpler meal.
The ingredients for this crock pot burrito bowl are easy to find:
- chunky salsa
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- chicken broth
- chili powder
- black beans
- instant brown rice
- red onion
- sour cream
- colby jack cheese
Can I use a different type of rice for this slow cooker chicken burrito bowl?:
This recipe has only been tested using instant brown rice (I used Uncle Ben’s brand), and the cooking time and liquid amounts were only tested for that variety of rice. If you want to use any other type of rice (traditional rice, parboiled rice, microwavable rice, etc.), I would suggest fully preparing the rice and simply stirring it in right before serving and garnishing. Or, serve the chicken, bean and corn mixture over the rice.
Can I use chicken breast instead of chicken thigh?:
Sure, you definitely can. The reason I like chicken thighs for slow cooker recipes is that the dark meat doesn’t try out as much as white meat tends to. But if you prefer chicken breast, by all means, you can use it in this recipe!
Can I start with frozen chicken for this crockpot burrito bowl?:
While some readers have reported making this crock pot chicken burrito bowl successfully with frozen chicken, the USDA recommends always thawing meat or poultry before putting it into a slow cooker. This is due to food safety issues arising from temperature and timing.
If food spends too long in the “temperature danger zone” (between 40 degrees and 140 degrees F), it can become unsafe to eat. By starting with frozen chicken in this recipe, or any of my crockpot soups, the food in your crock pot may spend longer in the danger zone. So, it’s best to err on the side of caution and start with thawed, raw chicken.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2-1/2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, chopped tomatoes, lime wedges, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and/or shredded Colby Jack cheese, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together salsa, chicken, broth and chili powder. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7-1/2 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in beans, rice and corn. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until rice is cooked through.
- Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, onion, tomatoes, limes, sour cream and/or cheese.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 1276mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 10gSugar: 11gProtein: 44g
More great slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef’ Soup – my mom’s classic recipe
- Slow Cooker Carrot & Apple Soup – bookmark this one for fall
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Sausage Soup – one of my favorite meals!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup – a reader favorite
- Slow Cooker Barley & Chickpea Risotto – this one is popular for a reason!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Apple Cider Chili – bookmark this for fall, too!
- Crockpot Taco Soup – make a batch and freeze some for another meal!
- Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli from The Recipe Critic
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup from Gimme Some Oven