These Carrot Cake Steel Cut Oats are as easy as it gets! Put the ingredients for this healthful and delicious breakfast in the crock pot and go to bed! Wake up to the beautiful smells of carrot cake!
I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but I’ve kind of been on an oatmeal kick lately. For most of my life I’ve had a pretty solid “eh” attitude toward oatmeal. It’s always been fine, but never more than that.
But for some reason, I really came around to it this past winter. I think I finally realized that oatmeal didn’t have to be boring. Just like any other meal or dish, it could be livened up with a ton of flavor, like ricotta cheese and figs or Meyer lemons and poppyseeds. You can even eat oatmeal for dinner!
As we transition from winter to spring, I figured my oatmeal routine could be seasonal, too. And what’s more “Hi. Spring!” than carrot cake? These Carrot Cake Steel Cut Oats recipe really couldn’t be simpler.
About these Carrot Cake Steel Cut Oats:
Simply throw some steel cut oats, water, shredded carrots, chopped pineapple, half and half, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in your slow cooker, then just go to bed! In the morning, scoop into bowls and garnish with toasted coconut and walnuts for crunch and dig in! Carrot cake, for breakfast, but healthy, and easy, in a bowl. Got all that?
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Honey, maple syrup, or additional brown sugar, for serving (optional)
- In bowl of slow cooker, stir together water, oats, carrots, pineapple, half and half, raisins, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Cover and cook on low 8 hours (overnight).
- Stir well and divide between serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with 2 tablespoons walnuts and 1 tablespoon coconut flakes. If a sweeter oatmeal is desired, drizzle with honey or maple syrup, or sprinkle with additional brown sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 8gSugar: 43gProtein: 9g
More great slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef’ Soup – my mom’s classic recipe
- Slow Cooker Carrot & Apple Soup – bookmark this one for fall
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Sausage Soup – one of my favorite meals!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup – a reader favorite
- Slow Cooker Barley & Chickpea Risotto – this one is also popular for a reason!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Apple Cider Chili – bookmark this for fall, too!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – better than takeout