So seriously, when I told you I was obsessed with avocados, I wasn’t kidding.
I. seriously. can’t. stop. eating. them.
How could something that’s technically a fruit (but everybody thinks is a vegetable) taste so decadent, yet be so good for you? Seriously, nature’s butter. Perfect for it’s bread spread-ability. So this recipe is like bread and [nature's] butter.
One of the easiest appetizers in the world is grilled baguette. Brush it with a bit of olive oil, and throw it on an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan until it’s toasty and crunchy. Eat it as is, sprinkle it with herbs and spices, rub it with a clove of raw garlic, or mash avocado onto it. Because I love the combination of something smooth with something crunchy, I decided that the generous amount of smooth avocado here would stand up to two crunchy items – both the grilled bread and some mixed nuts. A five-minute appetizer that tastes like a million bucks!
- 1/2 whole grain baguette, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch-thick (about 12 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup Naturebox Salsa Spiced Nut Mix, or other mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat outdoor grill or grill pan for direct grilling over medium heat. Brush both sides of baguette pieces with oil. Grill 30 seconds to 1 minute per side or until lightly browned. Immediately after bread comes off grill, rub 1 side with garlic clove.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon avocado flesh onto each crostini; mash and spread with fork.
- Sprinkle crostini with Salsa Spiced Nut Mix and squeeze lemon juice over crostini. Serve immediately.
If you like the sound of a Salsa Spiced Nut Mix (so delicious), you may want to give Naturebox a try (and then make these avocado crostini!). If so, click here and use the code “FOXES10″ at checkout to receive $10 off your first box!