End-of-Summer Sweet Corn Recipe Roundup
So um, summer is almost over. But only technically, because people consider Labor Day the end of summer. But here in Michigan, we’ve been known to have 80 degree days into October. So, as much as I love my boots with the fur, I’m not ready to get them out just yet.
We’re in the midst of sweet corn season here in Michigan, and I’ll admit that this year, I just haven’t had enough. Busy with recipe testing, restaurant reviews, sangria parties and other fun, fresh corn just hasn’t made it onto my dinner table much, with the exception of Michael Symon’s Sweet Corn & Wild Mushroom Soup.
I’m headed to the Royal Oak Farmer’s Market on Saturday, and plan to buy a big bag of sweet corn and start making up for lost time. Where to start? Well, this roundup includes some of the best fresh sweet corn recipes that I’ve seen around the interwebs. Enjoy, Happy Friday, and have a great Labor Day weekend!
Top Row, Left To Right
- Corn Arugula Salad by Feed Your Soul Too – This salad has so many ingredients that I love: corn, arugula, tomatoes, red pepper, and a lemon dressing to boot. There’s even a bit of BBQ seasoning in there to make it taste even MORE like summer!
- Healthy Chipotle Sweet Corn Fettuccine by Pinch of Yum – I love the balance of sweet summer corn and spicy chipotles. Plus, all the creaminess from this dish comes from Greek yogurt. Brilliant!
- Boulevard Raspail Corn on the Cob with Shallot Thyme Butter by That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Liz has actually cut the corn off the cob (a must for me because of jaw problems), but I just love how she cut it off the cob – in elegant large pieces.
Middle Row, Left To Right
- Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) by Kimchi Mom – This recipe just made my mouth water as soon as I saw it, and when I tried it, it didn’t disappoint. Spicy, sweet, creamy and crunchy. Amy made it with frozen corn (as fresh corn was out of season at the time), but believe me – it’s amazing with fresh corn.
- Grilled Sweet Corn with Chili-Lime Honey Butter by Iowa Girl Eats – So simple – just grill the corn and stir up some compound butter – but adds a special touch to corn on the cob.
- Grilled Mexican Corn and Avocado Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers – Apparently grilling corn is the way to my heart. And Jennifer has added avocado and cojita cheese to the mix. Yes please!
Bottom Row, Left To Right
- Grilled Sweet Corn Salsa by Neighborfood – I love this recipe as much as I love the hilarious story Courtney tells along with it – her and her husband clashing over whether or not corn can be considered an entree (you be the judge).
- Scallops over Fresh Creamed Corn with Bacon, Cilantro & Scallions by Saucy Girls Kitchen – Scallops are definitely a natural flavor pairing with corn. In fact, when I was in culinary school, a chef told me that fresh scallops should smell like sweet corn. Weird, but true.
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom – Now that I’ve gotten over my fear of kimchi, I’m all about this salad, which combines corn, bacon and kimchi.