Raisin Crostini with Blue Cheese & Apples - Sweet, savory and cheesy. A pretty party bite that is a cinch to pull together! | foxeslovelemons.com

This picture right here. The one you see above. This picture prompted me to sit back and think “Whoa, maybe I really AM a food photographer now.” You see, I’ve struggled with choosing a profession for this blogging/freelance thing I do now. Like, when you fill out forms at a new doctor’s office or file your taxes, you have to fill in what your profession is.

I write this blog every day, so am I a writer? Well, I was never really formally trained in any sort of writing, and still can’t spell ridiculous correctly on the first try, so calling myself a writer seems like a stretch. I went to culinary school, so some people would say I’m a chef. But I’m not – the definition of a chef is somebody who is the boss of others in a kitchen. I generally write “photographer” in that profession box, because it sounds the sexiest, and technically, the majority of my income is directly related to freelance recipe photography jobs. But again, I’ve never actually been formally trained in anything relating to cameras.

I still shoot with an entry-level DSLR, and I taught myself how to shoot in manual mode through trial and error. If I were a contestant on a reality show, I would surely say I went to the photography “school of hard knocks.” Basically, I’ve just taken a crap-ton of photos in the last few years. Some days, the improvement that has resulted from that effort is evident to me, and other days, I take a set of 75 photos where I hate every single one.

But these photos? I sat back and just stared at them. And admired. And told myself that sometimes, it’s OK to give yourself a pat on the back. Because damn if these aren’t some pretty crostini. Now, I’m sure a photographer who has been working at their craft for longer than me can find plenty of technical flaws in these photos, and that’s OK, too. One of my favorite things about this job is that I never stop learning.

So, about these crostini. They’re an ode to my love of all things sweet, savory, and cheesy (at the same time). I bought some really great locally made raisin bread, topped it with some really great Salemville Reserve Extra-Aged Amish Blue Cheese and really great sauteed apples with thyme, and finished it with some really great tupelo honey. All in all, it’s really great. It’s one of those party bites that’s a total cinch to pull together, but your guests will think it’s just lovely.

Do you have a great recipe that uses blue cheese? Salemville is inviting home chefs to enter their favorite recipe using Salemville® Amish Blue cheese for a chance to win 1 out of 9 cooking prizes. The amazing prizes include a Le Creuset® 6-piece Signature Cooking Set and Kitchen Aid® 5-Quart Artisan™ Stand Mixers! Enter the contest through the “How Do You Blue?” app on Salemville’s Facebook page or through their website: www.salemville.com.

Raisin Crostini with Blue Cheese & Apples

Yield: About 10 pieces

Cook Time: 6 minutes

• 1/2 loaf raisin bread, halved and cut into ½-inch-thick slices (about 10 pieces)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 Fuji apples, cored and chopped
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • 4 ounces Salemville Reserve Extra-Aged Amish Blue Cheese, cut or crumbled into large pieces
  • Honey for drizzling

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread slices on rimmed baking pan and brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp.
  2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add apples and thyme; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until apples are just slightly tender. Remove from heat; remove thyme sprigs and stir in lemon juice. Let cool slightly.
  3. Divide cheese over toast points. Divide apple mixture over cheese. Drizzle with honey and serve immediately.

Disclaimer: This post is part of a relationship I have with Saputo Specialty Cheese for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.

25 Responses to “Raisin Crostini with Blue Cheese & Apples #salemvillecheeses #howdoyoublue #recipecontest”

1. Susan — July 17, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Lori, I’d have to say that you have grown up:  finally figured out what you want to be.  (Something I never managed to do…)  Congratulations!  That is a gorgeous photo.

You are not alone in your photography woes.  My very favorite blog – Feathered Photography – frequently mentions photographic difficulties.  And he culls a LOT of photos.  So don’t feel bad.  Most people who are not food bloggers/photographers probably don’t notice the things that drive you crazy.  And I can tell you that even though photos sometimes attract me to a recipe, what I pay the most attention to is the combination of ingredients.  In my opinion you have mastered the important stuff.  :-)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 17th, 2014 @ 5:17 pm

Haha, thanks Susan. It took a few years, but I’m glad I’m here now. So happy to have found what I’ll be happy doing for the long term, rather than just suffering through some old job that I hate :)

I think everybody is their own worst critic when it comes to something artistic like this. It’s funny, the photos I HATE seem to be the ones that get the most attention on Pinterest! That’s why I just go ahead and publish them anyway. As long as the recipe tastes great, it goes up!

Have a great weekend!

2. Gina — July 17, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Lori- I think you’re a terrific writer and food photographer!  I haven’t gotten around to trying many of your recipes yet (though they look fantastic!), but I read your blog all the time because you’re hilarious and smart and it’s like having a conversation (albeit one-sided) with a friend.  Also, you kind of make me want to scrap my 20+ year career in the media world and do something creative and fun, but that’s another story.  Keep up the great work!  :)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 17th, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

Thank you so much Gina, this comment totally made my day! I definitely feel like I’m having a one-sided conversation with an imaginary friend when I’m typing, so mission accomplished. What kind of job do you have in the media world? Something fun?

3. Gina — July 17, 2014 at 5:34 pm

It’s a pretty great gig…I work at one of the big media agencies, on the global team for a multinational client.  I get to travel internationally quite a bit, which has always been a passion of mine.  But there are still those days when I’m stuck in Excel spreadsheet hell or have been in a conference room for 18 straight hours and I think “What if….”  ;)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 17th, 2014 @ 6:13 pm

Oh, how great that you get to travel internationally! At my old advertising job, I got to be magically whisked away to places like Nebraska and Iowa ;) For meetings where I would sit in hotel conference rooms for 10 hours. Pair that with LOTS of spreadsheet hell, and there wasn’t much holding me back from quitting to pursue a new passion.

But international travel certainly would have sweetened the deal! Although of course, traveling for work isn’t the same as leisure. Still, my husband gets to go to China and Japan occasionally, and even though it’s for work, he still enjoys it quite a bit.  It’s definitely a perk! Jealous!

4. Gourmet Getaways — July 18, 2014 at 7:22 am

Blue cheese and apples, yummo! Nice concept, Lori! Love it :)

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• Lori Yates replied: — July 21st, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

Thanks so much, Julie!

5. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — July 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I fucking love how honest this is! I am there with you, though not in the sense I get paid to be a FT blogger (yet) but that I also refuse to call myself a food photographer til I can shoot in manual mode! I am headed in that direction now. I am a whiz in photoshop so that saves my ass! LOL!

I COMPLETELY get you with ridiculous- For the longest time I thought it was rediculous! HAHA until the age that your browser underlines your bad spelling and I do it on purpose sometimes too!

I also agree with the writer thing, I never EVER thought of myself as one, but I guess when a magazine asked me to “write” for them I kind am now if they think so? LOL

Beautiful work Lori- I love your quirky, dun and creative food blog and I am sure MUCH more success is to come! XOXO!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 21st, 2014 @ 1:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Sophia! One other thing from holding me back from calling myself a photographer is that I have the cheapest DSLR on the market. I mean, wouldn’t a PROFESSIONAL photographer have a nicer camera? I don’t know. In the end, it doesn’t matter what I fill in on those forms. I know that.

That’s fantastic that you’re starting to get magazine work! See you writing in print (or “in print” online) is the best feeling! Can’t wait to hear more about that.

6. Aysegul - Ice — July 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm

These photos.. I LOVE!
    You are a great photographer, blogger, and writer. Oh not to mention a great trained chef/recipe developer.
    I love how creative your recipes are.
    You have so much to be proud of Lori…
    Cheers!
    Ice

• Lori Yates replied: — July 21st, 2014 @ 1:27 pm

Thanks so much, Ice. Your comments always make my day. Hope you’ve been well and that your blog is headed in the direction you were hoping for when we chatted via e-mail last year.

7. Courtney @ Neighborfood — July 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

Girl, this is for sure a drop the mic photo. I can almost hear the “boom” when I look at them. You are totally a sexy photographer, so you really should just start writing that on those forms. I’d love to see the raised eyebrows (and job offers!) you get. It was so wonderful getting to finally meet you in person this weekend. I miss you already!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 21st, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

HAHAHA. I can just imagine the situation that would arise by filling in “sexy photographer.” I certainly don’t think it would help on airplanes – even MORE strange men would want to talk to me while I’m trying to ignore them.

Good luck getting any blog work done today. I know I’m inspired by what we learned at the conference, but also sleepy and procrastinating. It’s a losing battle, really.

8. Courtney @ Neighborfood — July 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Ugh, Lori, I know! I am so scattered today. Too many ideas, not enough focus or motivation. Plus, laundry. Ew.

9. Nichole — July 21, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I think your photos are awesome! Just like this recipe :)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 23rd, 2014 @ 12:07 pm

Thanks so much, Nichole! It was so nice to meet you this weekend :)

10. Sarah @ Snixy Kitchen — July 31, 2014 at 2:54 am

These photos are so pretty, Lori – I just want to grab one right off the page!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 31st, 2014 @ 9:44 am

Thanks so much, Sarah. That’s a huge complement coming from you. I love your photos!

11. zerrin — July 31, 2014 at 4:48 am

Another rock star recipe, can’t wait to try! Pinned!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 31st, 2014 @ 9:44 am

Thank you, Zerrin!

12. Rachel (teacher-chef) — July 31, 2014 at 8:28 am

These photos are BEAUTIFUL!! This recipe is so amazing – uses such simple elements to put together a showstopping appetizer. I love how this can be made so cost-effectively as well with just a bit of a cheese-splurge. YUM (adding this to my fireworks-viewing-party for tomorrow as a treat for the adults)!!!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 31st, 2014 @ 9:46 am

Thanks, Rachel! Even I will admit that I was surprised just how GREAT these tasted with so few (and such simple) ingredients. I splurged and used my good honey, too :) I hope your party is a success and everyone enjoys! Have fun!

13. Annie @Maebells — July 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Such a fabulous flavor combo! And, of course, stunning photos!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 3rd, 2014 @ 1:14 pm