Michigan winters are brutal, it’s true. Especially this last one. But truth be told, I wouldn’t want to live in a temperate-all-year climate. Because the brutal winters make me all like “OMGEEEE PURE MICHIGAN! BEACH! SUN! BIKE RIDES! DOG WALKS! REPEAT!” in the few short summer months of the year. So far this summer, the bike rides and dog walks have been plentiful, I’ve taken a trip with my mom to the Charlevoix area for bike riding and beach time, and am heading to South Haven with my two best girlfriends this week for more beach time and sun. Seriously. I must make the most of it.
The Pure Michigan love doesn’t end when my little vacations end, however. Mitten Crate delivered a big box of Michigan-made love in June, including:
- Joseph Wesley Great Lakes Blend Black Tea
- Lush Gourmet Foods Coconut Lavender Handcrafted Almonds
- BolaJoe Cafe Mocha Oatmeal
- Apolonia Natural Dressing Greek Vinaigrette
- Frankenmuth Fudge Kitchen Fresh Water Taffy
- J.J. Lomonaco Sicilian Cookies
Want to try a Mitten Crate of your own? Click HERE to get started, and use the code FOXES5OFF for $5 off your first month’s subscription, or use the code FOXFREESHIP for free shipping on a one-time order.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 Joseph Wesley Great Lakes Blend Black Tea bags
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Lush Nuts Coconut Lavender Handcrafted Almonds, chopped, for garnish
- Place cream, milk and tea bags in medium saucepot; heat over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until just simmering (do not let come to a full boil), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard tea bags.
- Place milk mixture and sugar in mixing bowl; mix on medium-low speed 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap; chill completely (I recommend overnight).
- Pour milk mixture into ice cream machine and freeze according to instructions for machine (mine took about 25 minutes). Transfer ice cream to freezer to harden completely (at least 4 hours). Serve garnished with chopped almonds.
This post was written by me on behalf of Mitten Crate, who provided me with a free box for recipe development purposes. I was not otherwise compensated for writing this post, and all opinions are 100% my own.