Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting
Lemon and blueberries is my chocolate and peanut butter. It’s my french fries and ketchup. It’s my bacon and eggs. It’s my cookies and milk. What does all of this mean? It’s my favorite of all possible flavor combinations. I believe it started when I heard somewhere that adding a little bit of lemon zest to the batter makes for a top-notch blueberry muffin. The rumors were true, they were the best muffins I’d ever made, and I’ve made them this way ever since. In fact, whenever I make anything with blueberries, lemon always gets involved. As soon as I tasted one of these cute little lemon meringue wafffle crisps from NatureBox, I knew they’d quickly become a mate for a carton of blueberries, and the pair would live happily ever after.
These cupcakes are made with lowfat Greek yogurt as a substitute for a portion of the butter. They’re lower in fat and sugar than an average cupcake, but they’re loaded with antioxidant-filled blueberries and are moist and delicious! They’re topped with a simple cream cheese frosting flavored with vanilla and lemon zest. They scream “spring” to me, and if I had a bridal or baby shower to go to thisyear, I’d make them for that in a heartbeat. Instead, a bunch of burly nerdy engineering men chowed them down, as I sent them to work with the hubs. The verdict? Guys love healthy cupcakes!
For the Blueberry Cupcakes:
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for garnish
For the Lemon Frosting:
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 Naturebox Lemon Meringue Waffles, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt, butter, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; whisk just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Line 30 muffin cups with paper liners. Fill each cup 3/4 full. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean, rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through baking, about 18-20 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and transfer to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, with mixer at low speed and gradually increasing to medium, beat butter and powdered sugar until butter is broken into pea-size pieces and incorporated with the sugar, scraping bowl occasionally, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add cream cheese, several pieces at a time, until all cream cheese is incorporated, scraping bowl occasionally. Add lemon zest and vanilla; increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, top cupcakes with frosting. If frosting is too thick to pipe, let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before piping. Garnish with Lemon Meringue Waffles and blueberries.
Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with NatureBox for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.