Culinary School Lesson: Bakin’ Bacon

Culinary School Lesson: Bakin' Bacon (How To Make Perfect Bacon In The Oven)

In my “What I Learned in Culinary School” series, I’ll be sharing tips and tricks that I learned from two years of working with some of the country’s best chefs. This will include big things like learning to work efficiently, and small things like how to cook bacon perfectly. All of them will be applicable to your home kitchen, making you a faster, better, and more confident cook.

I’m gonna keep it short and sweet today, with a little trick that I’m guessing 80% of people who like bacon already know. However, before I went to culinary school, I was in the 20% of people who had never thought to do this. Granted, for a long time, I wasn’t a big fan of bacon. And I think two major reasons for that were how smelly it makes your house when you cook it, and how big of a mess it is (grease splatters everywhere!).

With this method, your house will still smell bacon-y, but maybe a smidge less so than with the old frying pan method. Some of the smell is kind of contained to inside your oven. And those grease splatters? Hey – better in the oven than on the counter. My oven has seen way worse. I’m not too OCD about keeping it sparkly clean in there.

Ok, so here we go. Let’s get started bakin’ bacon. This will only take a minute. Well, 18 minutes.

Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Please make sure the pan is rimmed, or you’re going to have a huge bacon grease mess on your hands. Lay your bacon out on this pan in a single layer. If you need two pans, use two pans. They can be a little closer than I’ve done here, but just make sure the bacon pieces aren’t overlapping or anything.

Culinary School Lesson: Bakin' Bacon (How To Make Perfect Bacon In The Oven)

Bake your bacon at 375° for 18 to 20 minutes or until it reaches your desired level of crispness. You don’t even need to flip it. Just let it do it’s thing for 18 minutes. When it’s done, use tongs to transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.

Culinary School Lesson: Bakin' Bacon (How To Make Perfect Bacon In The Oven)

Beyond the less mess/smelliness factor, there are a few other advantages to this method. First, it’s a great method to use when you’re preparing breakfast for a crowd. The bacon is just cooking away in the oven, unattended to, while you’re finishing up the rest of the meal on the stovetop. Second, you get to eat almost cartoon-like perfect bacon. It’s not shriveled up little pieces – it’s mostly flat, perfectly cooked bacon. Beautiful, beautiful, cartoon bacon.

Culinary School Lesson: Bakin' Bacon (How To Make Perfect Bacon In The Oven)

For more tips and tricks from my school days, be sure to check out my culinary school archive.

36 Responses to “Culinary School Lesson: Bakin’ Bacon”

1. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — July 18, 2013 at 6:07 am

Cooking bacon is smelly, but eating it is oh so wonderful! ja

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — July 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

Cooking bacon is smelly, but eating it is oh so wonderful! ja

3. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hahaha so true!!

4. Suzanne — July 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’ll join you in the 20% that didn’t know or never thought of this, years of spatter, grease, dread when cooking it, well next time I will use this method. Like it so much better. Thanks. It’s one of those slap your head moments, why didn’t I think of that??? I do love bacon!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

I know, I seriously wondered “how have I never thought of this?!?” when I learned. I hope it changes your life a little bit :)

• Suzanne replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

Oh it will next time I can actually turn my oven on (so hot here) that is how I will make bacon. It’s a revelation.

5. Suzanne — July 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm

6. Tiffani T. — July 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Hello! Can you also bake bacon on a baking rack that’s been set inside a rimmed pan? I’m looking for a way to crisp up bacon yet have them almost entirely grease-free, if that’s even possible with….bacon.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

Hi Tiffani – Oh definitely, I think that would work really well, and allow the excess grease to drip away from the bacon. It might take a little less time to bake that way, so I would just keep an eye on it the first time you do it. Good luck!

7. Tiffani T. — July 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm

8. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 18, 2013 at 11:34 pm

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm

10. Suzanne — July 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

11. KatyN — July 19, 2013 at 8:25 am

I just found out about this recently too- and felt like an idiot for not knowing it. So much less messy and still tastes great!

12. KatyN — July 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

13. Nancy @ Buncha Jerks — July 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

I learned this about a year ago, but I didn’t know that you didn’t have to flip. The way I was told was 7 minutes and flip – I have wondered if it could skip flipping :) Thanks!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 20th, 2013 @ 9:38 pm

Interesting! Nope, I’ve never flipped it, and it’s always turned out great! I think my husband tried to flip it halfway through once, and hot grease splattered everywhere, so it was sort of dangerous. Not worth it! haha.

• Nancy @ Buncha Jerks replied: — July 20th, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Yeah – it’s not pretty!! :)

14. Nancy @ Buncha Jerks — July 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

15. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 21, 2013 at 2:37 am

Woot woot!

16. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 21, 2013 at 2:38 am

17. Nancy @ Buncha Jerks — July 21, 2013 at 3:32 am

Yeah – it’s not pretty!! :)

18. Judy — July 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for the fabulous hint! I have to try this, my luck with bacon has been less than satisfactory!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

You’re welcome, Judy, thanks for stopping by! I hear you – I always had trouble with bacon before learning this method, too!

19. Judy — July 24, 2013 at 2:40 am

20. NancyGraceGilroy-Goddard — July 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

Can I print recipes without printing the numerous comments, which seems like a waste of paper. They all sound sooo GOOD!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Hi Nancy – On all of my recipes, I have a “printer-friendly version” link (just below the number of servings information), that will open a window with JUST the recipe (no photos or comments). Unfortunately, I didn’t do that here, because this isn’t a standard recipe, but more of just a method. But, hopefully that printer-friendly version button will help for any other recipes you’d like to print!

21. NancyGraceGilroy-Goddard — July 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

22. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

23. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 24, 2013 at 5:31 pm

24. Jeri — September 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Everyone doesn’t cook mass quantities of bacon, not even all the commenters here. If it’s a matter of 2 or 3 rashers of bacon you’re still going to need a pan, the smell, and the splatters. Or foolishly waste all of that energy cooking them in the oven to cut down on the smell and the splatters.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 9:19 am

To be fair, the first advantage of this method that I listed was “it’s a great method to use when you’re preparing breakfast for a crowd.”

Personally, I would also use this method for cooking just 3 slices. It’s my energy bill, and to each his or her own.

• Catalina replied: — December 2nd, 2013 @ 11:21 pm

toaster oven for just a few slices

• Debbie V. replied: — October 19th, 2013 @ 4:10 pm

Bake a whole pan and then just freeze the remaining slices you don’t eat. We do this all the time and it’s perfect for when, out of the blue, you crave a BLT. :)