Smoked Salmon BLT
This Smoked Salmon BLT can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Savory smoked salmon, crispy bacon, fresh lettuce and tomato and tangy lemon herb mayonnaise come together for the ultimate sandwich.
Weird story about my childhood: there was a 2 to 3 year period growing up where I just hated bacon. I don’t even know WHY, I just turned on it one day.
So, while my parents enjoyed BLT’s with juicy Midwestern tomatoes and a side of my mom’s potato salad during the summer, I literally ate lettuce and tomato sandwiches.
The good news is, I got over this phase (I even have a popular tutorial on how to cook bacon). I’m still not bacon crazed, by any means, but it certainly has a time and a place.
One day I had some extra smoked salmon in the fridge, and this smoked salmon BLT was born. It’s made with a lemon herb mayonnaise that take this sandwich to the next level.
What you’ll need for a smoked salmon BLT:
- bread – I love a seedy whole wheat bread for it’s fiber content, but BLTs are great on everything from sourdough to baguette to English muffins!
- bacon – you’ll need nice crispy bacon for this salmon BLT sandwich recipe. Crisp up a few extra slices for make ahead egg muffins for the work week.
- smoked salmon – stop by your local bagel shop for a portion, or buy a high quality brand at the grocery store. Just like for smoked salmon crostini, we’re looking for the thinly sliced kind, not the flaky kind.
- lettuce – I love crisp butter lettuce for BLTs. If that’s not your thing, try peppery arugula.
- tomato – buy a nice juicy local or heirloom tomato (also great in my summer beet salad) and slice it up for this salmon BLT.
- mayonnaise – Hellman’s is the preferred mayo in my house and NEVER Miracle Whip, please. Although, see how Taste of Home ranked the best mayonnaise brands, and let me know if you agree!
- fresh herbs – you’ll need at least one variety of fresh herb, finely chopped to make lemon herb mayonnaise for this smoked salmon BLT. Here, I’ve used a combination of basil, dill and parsley because I had them all in my garden. I talk about a few other options in the section below.
- lemon juice and zest – this will add a nice acidic punch to the herb mayo for this smoked salmon sandwich recipe.
- ground black pepper – to add a little kick to the mayo.
About the lemon herb mayonnaise for this smoked salmon sandwich recipe:
A dish as special as this salmon BLT sandwich recipe needs to be finished with a condiment that’s just as unique.
I knew I wanted to bring in lots of lemon flavor to brighten up the sandwich, and you can never go wrong with fresh herbs.
I ended up stirring together mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice, dill, parsley, basil and ground black pepper for the sauce for this smoked salmon sandwich recipe.
You can also use whichever herbs you happen to have on hand – chives or a pinch of tarragon can be substituted for any of the herbs I’ve used in this smoked salmon BLT recipe.
Some variations on this salmon BLT sandwich recipe that I love:
As I mentioned above, it’s fun to experiment with using different types of bread for this smoked salmon BLT. Head to a local bakery and pick the most interesting loaf you can find.
If you’re not a mayonnaise fan, feel free to substitute softened cream cheese for this salmon BLT sandwich recipe – that would be terrific here! Especially if you’re using English muffins. Cream cheese on an English muffin is one of my very favorite things, especially with smoked salmon.
And personally, I love avocado on BLTs (and in fried goat cheese salad). You can actually call this smoked salmon sandwich recipe a BLAT if you add avocado, which is very fun to say. BLAT!
What to serve with this smoked salmon BLT:
For the Lemon Herb Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh herbs (I used a combination of basil, dill and parsley)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Sandwiches:
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 8 slices oven baked bacon
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Make the Lemon Herb Mayonnaise: In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs and pepper until well combined
- Make the Sandwiches: Spread one side of each bread slice with mayonnaise mixture. Layer salmon, bacon, lettuce and tomatoes onto 4 bread slices and then top with remaining bread. Serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1997mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
This website provides estimated nutrition information as a courtesy only. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2015. The recipe was updated in 2022 to be even better, the photos were reshot, and the post was revised accordingly. The original photos appear below.