Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa #SundaySupper

Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa - Cumin-rubbed grilled tilapia topped with avocado, mango, jicama and cilantro. | foxeslovelemons.com

You know how every once in awhile, you really REALLY get your money’s worth of something? That’s how I feel about the Maui guidebook Jeff and I took on our honeymoon six years ago. We used this thing every day that we were there, letting it guide us on driving tours around the island, to the best beaches for snorkeling, and to amazing local restaurants. We’ve even sent this book along with friends on at least five other honeymoons and vacations. My parents are taking it back this fall for their first trip to Hawaii.

One of the meals the good book guided us to was a small taco joint where I had my first-ever plate of fish tacos. Growing up in a small Midwestern town, fish tacos didn’t really hit my radar before that trip, but I instantly fell in love. I love them (and pretty much all tacos) for a trifecta of reasons: they’re healthy but tasty, they’re easy on your budget, and they’re incredibly fast and simple to pull together.

Since the theme of today’s #SundaySupper, sponsored by American Family Insurance and hosted by Denise of Run DMT, is “Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle,” I knew it was the perfect time to make my first at-home fish tacos. I think taco meals like this are perfect for families on the go who are trying to maintain a fit lifestyle, as they come together quickly and utilize lots of low-fat ingredients for big flavor!

I used affordable tilapia here, and rubbed it with cumin for a virtually calorie-free boost of flavor to start with. The fish is thrown on the grill for just a few minutes, then topped with hot sauce and a fresh mixture of avocado, mango, jicama, cilantro and lime juice. This meal would be perfect for a fit family who wants to get cooking together, as one person can be outside grilling the fish, while others can pull together the toppings and warm the tortillas.

For more fresh and light recipes like this one, make sure you follow American Family Insurance’s Health and Fitness #ChooseDream Pinterest Board. You can also find American Family Insurance on FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+YouTube and LinkedIn.

Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 20

Cook Time: 8

• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 jicama, peeled and diced
  • 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1-1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
  • 4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • Vegetable oil, for grill
  • 8 corn tortillas, warmed
  • Hot sauce, for serving

1. Preheat outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, make the Summer Salsa: In medium bowl, toss avocado, jicama, mango, lime juice and cilantro until well combined.
  2. Rub  both sides of fish with cumin, salt and pepper. Lightly brush grill grates with oil; transfer fish to grill. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until opaque throughout, turning once.
  3. Break fish into large chunks and serve in tortillas with Summer Salsa and hot sauce.

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts

Salads and Healthy Snacks

Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners

Healthy Desserts

SSbadge-200x200 Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here – Sunday Supper Movement.

AmFam Choose Dreams Logo

This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography.

36 Responses to “Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa #SundaySupper”

1. MealDiva — July 27, 2014 at 7:04 am

There’s just something about fish tacos and fresh salsa! Delicious recipe!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Thanks so much!

2. Renee — July 27, 2014 at 7:09 am

Now these are my kind of fish tacos! Love that they are grilled and then the fresh toppings. Total summer on a plate.

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Thanks, Renee! I was kind of nervous grilling fish, since I don’t do it all that often, but it was no trouble at all.

3. Shaina — July 27, 2014 at 8:57 am

Oh yummy! Loving the addition of mango, jicama and avocado on top. These fish tacos truthfully look much better than any I’ve had out at a restaurant!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

I think they’re one of the riskiest foods to order at a restaurant, because if they’re good, that’s great. But if they’re bad, they’re usually REALLY BAD! haha.

4. Constance J Smith (@FoodieArmyWife) — July 27, 2014 at 8:59 am

These tacos look AMAZING! And that bowl is so cute :)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

Thanks Conni! I just picked that up at an art fair I went to with my Mom. I usually scout out jewelry, but this year was all about food photo props :)

5. Liz — July 27, 2014 at 9:50 am

Oh, Lori, I MUST make these before the summer is over!!! Gorgeous and so yummy!  I had SO much fun finally meeting you last weekend (and sharing a ride back to that mad house of an airport!). Hope to do it again next year :)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:32 pm

Definitely, Liz. Loved our chance to chat in the car. You didn’t have to rush to your flight, did you? There was NOBODY checking a bag at the Delta counter. I was through in less than a minute!

6. Tammi @ Momma's Meals — July 27, 2014 at 10:11 am

What a fabulous summer taco!!! Love the freshness of it!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:33 pm

Thanks, Tammi! It’s like summer in a tortilla :)

7. Bea — July 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm

What a great recipe that 3/4 of my family will enjoy!  I will definitively have to give it a try soon.  Yum!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:33 pm

Hey, 3/4 is pretty good! I’ll take it :)

8. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — July 27, 2014 at 1:34 pm

That is the best guidebook!!! And I love your tilapia tacos. I make fish tacos almost the exact same way, but add a squeeze of lime juice, too, before cooking them.

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

Oh, you have experience with that guidebook too, Brianne? I can’t wait to go BACK to Maui and give it another workout!

9. Susan — July 27, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This salsa sounds amazing – all the ingredients are among my favorites.

I’m pretty sure we won’t be doing fish tacos – my husband is pretty much does not like fish.  But I’m sure the salsa will work with other things.  Looking forward to enjoying it with something (my husband will just have to eat the avocados…)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:35 pm

Turns out, lots of my readers must not enjoy fish, either, Susan :( Whenever I post a new fish recipe, I notice I get several people unsubscribing from my mailing list. Oh well, you can’t please everyone!

Your husband might like these with pulled roasted chicken meat?

10. Jennie @themessybakerblog — July 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm

These tacos look so fresh and flavorful. Love that summery salsa.

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

Thanks so much, Jennie!

11. Cindys Recipes and Writings — July 27, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I love fish tacos with mango salsa! Yum!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

I just started eating mangoes a few years ago, but I’m definitely hooked on them now. Thanks Cindy!

12. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — July 27, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I love the ingredients in your salsa. We’ll be doing this soon!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

Thank you, Sarah. Enjoy!

13. Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen — July 27, 2014 at 10:38 pm

These look so fresh and delicious! I love the combo of jicama, avocado and mango- a little crunch, a little creamy and a little sweet. Yum!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

I kind of re-discovered how cool jicama is with this recipe. I mean, it doesn’t taste like much, but it stays nice and crunchy, which is the best part. Thanks Sherri!

14. Alida — July 27, 2014 at 11:21 pm

What a fresh and delicious recipe!  My husband loves fish tacos…I know he will be excited to try these too!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

A husband who loves seafood? Lucky you, Alida!

15. Run DMT — July 28, 2014 at 10:14 am

Tilapia is the only fish that my family will eat. It’s so affordable and healthy too.  I love the simplicity and the rich flavors of this dish. Totally pinning it!

Thanks for the shout out too! :-)

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

That’s great, Denise. Eating tilapia is definitely better than eating no fish at all! I also love how affordable it is, and you can use just about anything to flavor it up :)

16. Susan — July 28, 2014 at 2:50 pm

mmm fish tacos. I do the same thing with the sprinkle of cumin on top. I haven’t made some in a while, now I could go for them. Next time with the salsa on top!

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

I’ve made them twice this month, and already want them again next week. Thanks Susan!

17. Katie — July 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Oh my goodness, how I ADORE fish tacos! There are one of my favorite meals to get around here (thankfully, Florida has them in abundance). Love the fresh salsa you paired them with. Drool….

• Lori Yates replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

I think I should have stayed in Florida a few more days to go on a hunt for the best fish taco :) Thanks Katie!

18. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva — July 31, 2014 at 11:05 am

Great recipe for fish tacos! Thanks for the guidebook suggestion, I’ll keep it in mind for our next trip to Maui!

• Lori Yates replied: — August 3rd, 2014 @ 1:15 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Christy!