But when it comes to the turkey, all bets are off. Some years, we’ll roast it the old-fashioned way with all the traditional herbs and spices. Sometimes we’ll make a big ol’ mess and brine it.
My mother-in-law has made a turkey in a countertop roaster, and my husband has toyed around with the idea of smoking the turkey one year.
It really just depends on what else is going in our lives, and how much time we have to devote to prepping the turkey. If your response to that situation is “none. zero time to devote to prepping the turkey,” then you need an easy way to get a turkey on the table without sacrificing flavor.
We’ve all been there, and JENNIE-O® is here to help us out. You’ll have to find a few minutes to go to the store and buy the turkey, but you can manage that. I have confidence in you.
The beautiful platter of gorgeous, perfectly roasted turkey pieces you see at the top of this post was created using a JENNIE-O® OVEN READY™ Cajun Style Whole Turkey. This stress-free, pre-seasoned turkey (gravy included!), goes directly from store to freezer to roasting pan to oven to carving board to table.
No thawing, no brining, no seasoning, no problem. Use the extra time you’ve saved to get back to the important stuff, like wine tasting and spending time with your family. In that order, or not. Your call.
You guys, this Cajun Turkey with Orange-Oregano Gravy is just absolutely delicious. It is SUPER juicy, and has just the right amount of spice. I was a little worried when it came to “cajun,” since spicy food isn’t for everyone.
But my mom and my best friend, who are both a little wary when it comes to spicy food, both really loved this turkey. The cajun seasonings add just the right amount of flavor without being overwhelmingly hot.
About that gravy: while the turkey comes with a packet of delicious gravy that only needs to be combined with some water and heated up on the stove, the “home chef” side of me wanted to jazz it up a bit.
With just a touch of orange zest and fresh oregano, I was able to put my own unique spin on this easy breezy turkey dinner.
- 1 Jennie-O OVEN READY Cajun-Style Turkey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Prepare turkey according to package directions.
- Prepare included gravy packet according to package directions, stirring in orange zest and oregano in last 3 minutes of cooking.
Epic Thanksgiving Recipe Schedule:
- Sunday, October 30th: Thanksgiving Recipes Master List
- Monday, October 31st: Apple, Bacon + Fennel Stuffing
- Thursday, November 3rd: Aged Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Monday, November 7th: Cajun Turkey with Orange-Oregano Gravy
- Monday, November 14th: Sautéed Green Beans with Tomatoes + Crispy Parmesan
- Thursday, November 17th: Hard Cider Cranberry Sauce
- Sunday, November 20th: Cocktail Hour! Roasted Campari Bloody Mary
Other Thanksgiving Ideas:
- Cranberry-Vanilla Gin Spritzer
- Autumn Cheese Board
- Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Crostini with Whipped Feta & Honey
- Roasted Turkey with Bourbon Apricot Glaze
- Maple Bourbon Glaze for Turkey – brush this on at the end for extra flavor.
- Fruit & Nut Brussels Sprout Slaw
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole – with fresh green beans and no canned soup!
- Corn Casserole with Cheese
- Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing – a secret family recipe!
- Lemon & Maple Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Thanksgiving Rice Recipe – an easy pilaf with cranberries and pears.
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Pomegranate & Parsley
- Spiced Sweet Potato Rolls with Bourbon Honey Butter
- Cranberry Curd Tart – with gluten free options!
Use Those Leftovers:
- Leftover Turkey Chili
- Turkey Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles
- Turkey & Gnocchi Arrabiata Soup
- Use up leftover mashed potatoes in a loaded mashed potato bake casserole!
- Ham and Potato Soup, if you also made a ham for Thanksgiving and have leftovers
Making one of these recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on social media with the hashtag #FLLEpicThanksgiving!
I’m so thankful for each and every person that stops by this blog, whether it’s once in awhile or every day. This little corner of the internet has allowed me to change my life and create a career path for myself that brings me so much joy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jennie-O. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.