When you’re a full-time food photographer, the struggle could not be more real when it comes to grocery shopping. I’m often at the store three to four times a week, if not more. Whether it’s a big trip for all of the work groceries needed for the week, a run for everyday stuff like shampoo and coffee beans, a quick errand to pick up that last-minute item needed for garnish, or a special stop for the freshest berries possible, I’m at the grocery store a lot.
It’s just a fact of life when it comes to this job, and most of the time I do it with a smile on my face (and headphones on my ears). But some days, I just can’t. I can’t go the store one more time. The thought of it makes me want to crawl back into bed. That’s why when Meijer announced their partnership with Shipt, I literally texted the information to my husband and said THIS IS EVERYTHING.
You see, as a true Midwesterner, I grew up shopping at Meijer. I grew up riding Sandy, the penny horse at the front of the store, when I was little (who’s with me?). My nieces and nephews are growing up riding Sandy now. It’s the store that has everything you could ever need (for grocery and home), at great prices. Every Michigander I know that has moved to another part of the country has told me “I miss Meijer.” Meijer = The Midwest, basically.
Meijer + Shipt changes everything for me. Shipt is a smartphone and computer app that lets you choose and purchase more than 55,000 grocery and health and beauty items from your local Meijer store. Then you set up a delivery of said items. Depending on the time of day, the delivery could come as soon as an hour from when you place the order!
Using the app really couldn’t have been easier. I was able to order all of my groceries for the week in just a few minutes. I placed my order one evening and scheduled it for a delivery window of 11AM to 12PM the next day, when I knew I would be home to receive it and put the groceries away. Right away, I got a message that said “Melissa G. has claimed your order.” The next morning, Melissa texted me to tell me she was on her way to Meijer, and ask if I needed any last minute items. While she was at the store, she texted me to tell me that my favorite lime sparkling water was sold out, and ask if I would like another flavor. Just a few minutes later, she was at my front door, groceries in hand! It was magical, I tell you.
So, what was in my order? Everything necessary for Everything Bagel Chicken Wings, that’s what. Again, it’s the Midwest, so if it’s the fall, we’re tailgating. And there’s no food that gets eaten faster at a tailgate than chicken wings. Instead of frying my wings, I like to roast them on baking racks set over top of sheet pans. Placing the chicken on racks means that the hot air of the oven circulates the entire way around the wings, make them crispy on all sides (this method works for potatoes, too!). When the wings were cooked, I brushed them with a simple homemade barbecue sauce (but feel free to use store-bought sauce if you’d like), and then returned them to the oven so the sauce got really glazed onto the wings.
And then, the magic happened. If you find me a savory food, I can and will sprinkle everything bagel seasoning on it. I wasn’t sure how it would be on chicken wings, but it was AWESOME. The crunch of the sesame seeds and poppyseeds really took the wings to the next level. Making your own everything bagel seasoning couldn’t be simpler: just stir together sesame seeds and poppyseeds (I used True Goodness by Meijer brand), dried minced garlic, caraway seeds and kosher salt. Sprinkle away, and enjoy that tailgate!
Shipt services the greater Detroit area through 25 Meijer locations. If Meijer is open, Shipt will deliver! Membership to Shipt is $99 per year or $14 per month. Delivery is free for orders over $35. For orders under $35, there will be a flat $7 delivery fee added to the total. For more information, please visit the Shipt website.
Everything Bagel Chicken Wings
For the Chicken Wings:
- 4 pounds whole chicken wings
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Lemon wedges
- Make the Chicken Wings: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place wire racks inside two rimmed baking pans. Divide wings between prepared racks. Transfer to oven and bake 45 minutes or until wings are golden brown and crispy, rotating racks halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, make the Barbecue Sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, chili powder, cayenne and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Transfer barbecue sauce to large bowl. In batches, place wings in bowl and toss until fully covered in sauce. Return wings to prepared racks. Transfer to oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until sauce is caramelized and crispy in parts.
- Sprinkle wings with Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix and chives. Serve with lemon wedges.
Disclosure: This was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Meijer + Shipt. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.