Lately, inspired by the Ottolenghi cookbooks, I’ve been really into vegetable side dishes that are as special (or MORE special) than the main dish on my plate. I love it when the vegetables are actually the star of the plate, and any meat or protein is kind of the supporting player.
This technique goes against everything I’ve learned and have been doing in the kitchen until recently. Before, it was always: start with the meat, then figure out some sort of vegetable and prepare that vegetable in the quickest “whatever” way possible. My new strategy is to find a really fresh piece of fish or chicken, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and simply throw it in the oven. Since that takes about 30 seconds, I have plenty of time to devote to the vegetable I’m about to give the royal treatment.
These Roasted Glazed Carrots with Greek Yogurt & Buttered Pine Nuts were SO SO SO good that I couldn’t even tell you what else we had for dinner the night we ate them. All I remember are the carrots! I bought some really fresh organic carrots and roasted them whole. While they were in the oven, I made a quick one-ingredient glaze for them by reducing V8 Veggie Blends Golden Goodness to a sauce-like consistency.
V8 Golden Goodness is made from the juices of yellow carrots, sweet potatoes, orange carrots and oranges, so the glaze was a great combination of savory and sweet. When the carrots were just tender, I tossed them with the glaze then piled them onto a pretty platter. To finish, I dolloped them with a big scoop of Greek yogurt and sprinkled on golden brown buttered pine nuts.
V8 has recently introduced 4 innovative varieties of V8 Veggie Blends. These beverages are a vibrant combination of vegetables with a touch of sweet fruit that provide one full serving of vegetables in every 8-ounce glass. The V8 folks have a mission to make it more enjoyable for people to get the vegetables that they need, which I’m also all about. Whether drinking straight from a glass, or incorporating them into recipes, these beverages are a great way to get a little more veg into your lifestyle!
Roasted Glazed Carrots with Greek Yogurt & Buttered Pine Nuts
- 3/4 pound medium carrots, scrubbed
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup V8 Golden Goodness
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place carrots on rimmed baking pan and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to oven and roast 16 to 20 minutes or until carrots are just tender.
- Meanwhile, place V8 Golden Goodness in small saucepot. Cook over medium-high heat 12 to 15 minutes or until reduced to a thick, sauce-like consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Watch carefully to be sure they don't burn, and remove pine nuts from heat and transfer to small bowl as soon as they are golden brown.
- Pour reduced sauce over carrots and toss to combine. Transfer carrots to serving platter; top with yogurt and pine nuts and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of V8. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.