Autumn brings two things that are well-loved in my household: Halloween and beets. So, “Trick or Beet” Brownies actually seem completely normal in our home. The beets are actually the trick. The brownies are the treat. So maybe they’re like “Beet and Treat” Brownies, but that isn’t nearly as catchy.
Trick or Beet Brownies
- 2 large red beets, roots and leaves trimmed, scrubbed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wrap beets in foil and place on rimmed baking pan. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes or until beets are easily pierced with knife. Let cool, then use paper towel to rub off skins. Shred beets on largest holes of box grater. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance).
- Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, oil and honey until well combined. Stir in vanilla extract, espresso powder and shredded beets. Add flour mixture; stir until very well combined. Stir in chocolate morsels.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake 28 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before cutting and serving.