“Home Alone”-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza

"Home Alone"-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza - A pork-lovers pizza, topped with sausage, bacon, pulled pork, pepper jack cheese and caramelized onions. | foxeslovelemons.com

My husband LOVES making pizza – he grills it in the summer, bakes it in the winter, and comes up with a new flavor combo each time. In this monthly “guest post,” I’m going to sit back, relax, and maybe take the occasional photo while Jeff makes me a pizza and tells you about it. Here he is:

Ever had a movie you’ve memorized, scene-for-scene, word-for-word? Trust me when I say, for Lori, that movie is “Home Alone.” It came out when we were seven years old, so Kevin McAllister was almost exactly the same age. This left her, me, and probably all of our friends, with the same dream of being man (or woman) of the house. Everything about the movie is completely ridiculous and implausible, which is why it’s so great. Lori loved, and still does love, everything about it – the Wet Bandits, the 12 cheese pizzas, the grocery shopping trip where the bags break, Buzz’s tarantula, the mom’s van ride with the Kenosha Kickers (Yes, that’s the polka band. Yes, she knows their name.)

When Lori asked me to make a “filthy animal” pizza, I was like Kevin screaming in shock after splashing his father’s aftershave on his face. I had an idea to make a pizza that revolved around everything PIG. I knew I wanted a combination of pork sausage, bacon, and pulled pork. The first two pig items were easy to find at any local grocery store, but the pulled pork was a challenge. Our options were make some (this takes hours in a crock pot), buying a plastic container of the microwaveable stuff, or go to one of the great local BBQ restaurants in the Detroit area and order some take-out. We went with something similar to option three – our grocery store has added a smoked meat counter where they do briskets, pulled pork, ribs, etc.

The pizza was just a simple combo of the take-out pulled pork, chopped sausage, cooked bacon, and simple homemade pizza sauce (post on that coming soon, but feel free to use your favorite recipe or buy a jar of sauce). For spice, there is some pepper jack cheese. For sweetness, there is some caramelized onions.  And finally, some chopped parsley for color.  I hope you enjoy!

“Home Alone”-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 links spicy Italian sausage, thinly sliced
  • 4 slices hardwood smoked bacon
  • 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
  • Nonstick cooking spray and/or cornmeal (optional)
  • 3/4 cup pizza sauce
  • 6 ounces prepared pulled pork
  • 4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until onion is deeply caramelized, stirring occasionally. Transfer onion to small bowl; return skillet to heat. Add sausage to skillet; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On rimmed baking pan lined with parchment paper, arrange bacon slices in single layer. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper-towel lined plate. Let cool; then crumble bacon.
  3. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Press pizza dough into large circle on pizza stone or pan (spray with cooking spray or sprinkle with cornmeal first if you’re worried about dough sticking). Bake 10 minutes or until light golden brown and almost cooked through.
  4. Remove crust from oven. Spread with pizza sauce, then top with pulled pork, cheese, caramelized onion, sausage and bacon. Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer, or until crust is cooked through and toppings are hot. Remove from oven; sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!

For more pizza creations by Jeff, check out our pizza archive!

Yum

Stay Connected

42 Responses to ““Home Alone”-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza”

1. Renee Dobbs — December 22, 2013 at 7:14 am

Love the pizza, love the fun name of it, and the movie that brought you the inspiration. Happy Holidays!!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:15 am

Thank you Renee. I love all three as well. Happy Holidays!

2. Krayl Funch — December 22, 2013 at 8:59 am

Lol! Love this. The movie, the name, the dish. All of it!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I forgot to tell everybody my favorite part of the movie – Kevin screaming into the grill of the Dodge van driven by the Wet Bandits as they pull out the of driveway without looking. I always laugh so hard at that part.

3. Laura Hunter — December 22, 2013 at 9:22 am

Wow this pizza sounds wonderful, especially with that pulled pork. I am wanting to cook more home made pizza’s again and this sounds like a great way to start.

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Thank you Laura. In my opinion pulled pork makes everything better. And, you should totally make more homemade pizzas, as they are generally delicious and more fun than just opening a Hungry Howie’s box.

4. Jennie @themessybakerblog — December 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

That is my favorite part of the movie. This pizza looks so good. The filthier the better. Pinned.

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:19 am

Thank you Jenny. I wanted to go filthier – like adding ham – but Lori reigned me back in. It was probably a good thing.

5. Jennifer Drummond — December 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

I just watched Home Alone the other night! What a great recipe! I would love some Filthy Animal Pizza! lol I am just cracking up from that scene!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:21 am

I am so glad the recipe sounds great. Every time I think about Home Alone I chuckle . . . From the paint cans to the shoplifting to plastic bags.

6. Family Foodie — December 22, 2013 at 10:05 am

What a fun recipe! Happy Holidays to you and your family. So glad you are part of the #SundaySupper Family!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Happy holidays to you as well.

7. Stacy — December 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Well done, Jeff! Beautiful pizza and I love that you agreed to guest post for this fun theme. You are a star!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:22 am

Well, thank you, Stacy. I don’t shine quite as bright as Lori, but I do enjoy taking the spotlight time and again to make delicious pizzas.

8. Liz — December 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

Too funny! We LOVE the original Home Alone movie and your Filthy Animal pizza looks amazing!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Thumbs up to both – Home Alone and the pizza. Thank you.

9. Kris Adair — December 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Such a fabulous name! I have to admit I have never seen that movie. Oh, no!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Well, Kris, it is a good a time as any. It is a holiday classic in the vein of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, It’s A Wonderful Life, and The Muppet Christmas Carol.

10. littleredkitchen — December 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

You two are a bunch of filthy animals for creating this pizza and I want it all! I was a wee bit older when home alone came out but I love it then and I still love it now!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Thank you for the “filthy animal” moniker – I will wear it proudly. So glad you think the pizza sounds good and also for your love of Home Alone.

11. Cindys Recipes — December 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Fun twist on the name, you can design a pizza for me anytime!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

Thank you for the support of my pizza fandom . . . Maybe I should open up a pizza shop with absurd topping pairings.

12. Happy Baking Days — December 22, 2013 at 1:08 pm

This pizza is so much fun! Perfect for the film 🙂

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Thank you so much. And, by the way, all pizzas are fun.

13. Carla — December 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Home Alone is one of my favorite movies and instantly said “Keep the change ya filthy animal” as soon as I saw the title for this pizza. Great job, Jeff!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I appreciate the support Carla. While pizzas aren’t hard to make, there is the worry of toppings just not working well together. Thanks.

14. Tammi — December 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Love that your husband made this dish for you, and the post for that matter! Home Alone is a movie we grew up watching too, I love making pizza, all different kinds of pizza!! Happy Holidays!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:27 am

I actually enjoy guest posting quite a bit. Thanks for the positive feedback on both Me and Pizza. It truly is an awesome food and completely customizeable – you just have to trust your toppings instincts.

15. xanthiagoddess — December 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hah, that’s the perfect movie and recipe! I love homemade pizzas, what a great topping combo!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:27 am

I am so happy to provide you with pizza inspiration.

16. Shaina Wizov — December 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm

As soon as I saw the title of your dish started with Filthy Animal, I knew your inspiration – Home Alone is definitely one of the best holiday movies! It’ll never get old

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:30 am

Shaina – I will probably watch Home Alone when I am 70 years old and still laugh my butt off. So happy that you like the pizza and the movie.

17. Amanda M — December 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I was probably about the same age when the movie came out, and I loved it – almost as much as my kids still love it today. Now to get my husband to cook like this……

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:32 am

Lori got me to cook like this by just pretending – there were a lot of gross recipes coming out of the Jeff kitchen experiments. She kept offering support and now I am pizza guru. Thanks and good luck.

18. Renee Goerger — December 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I just love the movie Home Alone and I’ve yet to see it this year. Must remedy this! I love your recipe and the name is so creative!
    Renee – Kudos Kitchen

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:33 am

I am so pleased that you enjoy the recipe and love Home Alone. Pizza and that movie just go together – from the name inspiring scene to Buzz eating the cheese only pizza to eating it while watching the movie.

19. Martin Redmond — December 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

The pizza looks fabulous. I would so love it! Jeff done good! Happy Holidays to you both!

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:34 am

Thanks for the shout-out Martin. Happy holidays to you as well.

20. Courtney @ Neighborfood — December 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

Haha! I adore this movie! I watched both 1 and 2 this year. Such classics. The three kinds of pig for filthy animal was a stroke of genius. This pizza looks awesome. Funny tidbit I learned this year about Home Alone. I was watching an interview with the Wet Bandits and they said after the movies kids would come up to them and ask them to break into their houses so they could set their own booby traps! Ha! Ah kids, they think they’re so clever.

• The Hubs replied: — December 23rd, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Courtney – I had never heard that before. But it is hilarious as I remember wanting Joe Pesci to show up at my house so I could booby-trap it. I am so happy that you like the recipe. Thanks.

21. Karen @ The Food Charlatan — December 27, 2013 at 2:21 am

A. I am ridiculously obsessed with Home Alone. 2. I have to make this! D. PInning.

22. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — December 27, 2013 at 10:59 am

OMG – I totally forgot about Buzz’s great list-making skills when I named my favorite parts, but that is definitely one of my favorite parts 🙂 Thanks for the laugh, Karen!