This Cheeseburger Pizza recipe has it all! Ground beef, onion, cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard, on a sesame seed crust.
All of Jeff’s friends love pizza, burgers, barbecue, and beer. He’s no different . . . he just like to class them up a bit.
He brews his own beer, makes his own pizza (you’ve read about many of them), smokes his own root beer ribs, and tries every joint in the greater Detroit area claiming “voted best burger”.
The inspiration behind this cheeseburger pizza recipe:
If you are like him, you like classic burgers. I am talking about the ones made at bowling alleys and little holes-in-the-wall.
These are places where handmade patties are caramelized and sesame seed buns are toasted on a large flat-top griddle.
They usually come with only the basics – cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and onions.
And while sometimes a turkey burger salad hits the spot when we want to eat a little lighter, there’s really nothing like combining the two comfort classics of cheeseburgers and pizza.
What is on a cheeseburger pizza?
This is really up to you, and what you normally like to eat on your cheeseburgers!
Here, we took the toppings from our favorite bar burger, and added some lettuce and tomatoes for freshness:
- ground beef
- sharp cheddar cheese
- sesame seeds
If you can, use a pizza stone for this hamburger pizza!
Pizza stones are a wonderful product because they help to achieve that wood-fired oven crispy crust without spending a couple grand on an actual pizza oven. I LOVE a crispy crust for Brussels sprouts pizza.
You simply throw the pizza stone in the oven as it preheats (usually to a high temperature like 450 degrees F) and once the oven comes up to temp you put the freshly stretched dough down on the stone and stick the stone back in the oven to crisp up.
How to make cheeseburger pizza:
We achieved the toasted sesame seed bun feel by using a pizza stone to brown off the pizza crust.
Once the crust was a little bit browned, we spread it with a thin layer of mayonnaise and sprinkled the outside edge with sesame seeds. Think deconstructed Big Mac bun.
The thin layer of mayonnaise also helps the toppings stick to the crust, since we’re not using a traditional pizza sauce here (kind of like how my crab rangoon pizza uses cream cheese).
Then, we sprinkled the crust with cooked ground beef (with onions) and shredded cheddar cheese and returned it to the oven to melt the cheese.
After that, we simply topped it with lettuce, tomato and pickles, and then drizzled it with ketchup and mustard right before serving!
What sauce for hamburger pizza?
You actually have a couple of options here. The first time we made this pizza, we made a riff on a Big Mac sauce by mixing equal parts ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise with a little splash of hot sauce.
It was tasty, but it’s honestly just as yummy (and easier and less dishes) to simply squirt the finished pizza with ketchup and mustard!
How to make a bacon cheeseburger pizza:
Well, make it a BACON Cheeseburger pizza by adding bacon, of course!
Before you start your pizza, use my “how to cook bacon in the oven” post to make perfect, crispy bacon strips just like the way I learned in culinary school.
Then, chop up the bacon and sprinkle it over the pizza at the same time you add the ground beef and cheese.
Other ideas to make this pizza your own:
- top with avocado or red pepper guacamole to give it a California feel.
- add mushrooms, because they are a great burger topping.
- make it spicy by adding pickled jalapeños.
- get really adventurous and add a few fried eggs to the top!
What to serve with cheeseburger pizza:
Honestly, this is a whole meal on a pizza, and I really don’t think you need a side dish.
We hope you enjoy combining our favorite foods and indulging in this creation.
More great pizza recipes:
Meaty or vegetarian, summer or winter, pizza is a weeknight staple for my family, because it’s so versatile.
- Grilled Chicken Pizza – we make this one all summer long.
- Loaded Baked Potato Pizza – cheese and bacon goodness!
- Lox Pizza – one of Lori’s personal favorites.
- Detroit Style Pizza Recipe – with pickled tomatoes!
- Filthy Animal Pizza – an ode to Home Alone.
- Italian Grandma Pizza – so comforting, just like grandma!
- Roasted Cauliflower Pizza – a reader favorite.
- Rustic Pizza – a complete meal on a pizza!
For even more pizza creations, check out our pizza archive!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ball (1 pound) of homemade pizza dough, or store-bought
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/3 cup bread and butter pickles
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss and stretch pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Once oven is preheated, carefully remove pizza stone from oven and spray with cooking spray. Carefully place dough on stone. Transfer to oven and bake 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally and breaking up meat with back of spoon. Season beef with salt and pepper to taste as it cooks.
- When crust from oven and spread evenly with mayonnaise. Spoon beef mixture over crust, making sure to leave the outer 1/2-inch of crust bare. Sprinkle cheese over meat. Sprinkle sesame seeds onto edge of crust.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove pizza from the oven; top with tomato, lettuce and pickles. Drizzle with ketchup and mustard and serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 503Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 737mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2014. The post was updated in 2021 to be more informative, and the photos were reshot. The original photos appear below.