This Cheeseburger Pizza recipe has it all! Ground beef, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions…on a sesame seed crust.
My husband LOVES making pizza – he grills it in the summer, bakes it in the winter, and comes up with a new flavor combo each time. In this monthly “guest post,” I’m going to sit back, relax, and maybe take the occasional photo while Jeff makes me a pizza and tells you about it. Here he is:
The inspiration behind this cheeseburger pizza recipe:
All of my guy friends love pizza, burgers, barbecue, and beer. I am no different . . . I just like to class them up a bit. I brew my own beer, make my own pizza (you’ve read about many of them), smoke my own meats, and try every joint in the greater Detroit area claiming “voted best burger”.
With this pizza, I decided to do a fusion. Behold the cheeseburger pizza.
If you are like me, you like classic burgers. I am talking about the ones made at bowling alleys and little holes-in-the-wall. These are places where handmade patties are caramelized and sesame seed buns are toasted on a large flat-top griddle. They usually come with only the basics – cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and onions.
If you can, use a pizza stone for this hamburger pizza!
Pizza stones are a wonderful product because they help to achieve that wood-fired oven feel without spending a couple grand. You simply throw the pizza stone in the oven as it preheats (usually to a high temperature like 450 degrees F) and once the oven comes up to temp you put the freshly stretched dough down and stick it back in.
I achieved the toasted sesame seed bun feel by using a pizza stone to brown off the pizza crust before brushing it with melted garlic butter and sprinkling with sesame seeds. Think deconstructed Big Mac bun.
What is on a cheeseburger pizza?
This is really up to you, and what you normally like to eat on your cheeseburgers! Here, I used:
- ground beef
- sharp cheddar cheese
- special sauce (more on that below)
What sauce for cheeseburger pizza?
I replicated the burger condiment mixture of ketchup and mustard by making a sauce for drizzling. I mixed equal parts ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise with a little splash of hot sauce. Think a riff on Big Mac sauce.
Other ideas to make this cheeseburger pizza your own:
- make it a BACON Cheeseburger pizza by adding bacon! (consult my “how to cook bacon in the oven” post to get your bacon ready)
- top with avocado or guacamole to give it a California feel
- add mushrooms, because they are a great burger topping
- make it spicy by adding jalapeños
- get really adventurous and add a few fried eggs to the top!
I hope you enjoy combining my favorite foods and indulging in this creation.
- 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 large tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/3 cup thin-sliced bread and butter pickles
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. While preheating, toss and stretch pizza dough into a circle. Once preheated, place dough on pizza stone and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally and breaking up meat with back of spoon.
- In small bowl, stir together butter and garlic powder.
- When pizza crust is golden brown, remove from oven and brush with garlic butter. Spoon beef mixture over crust, making sure to leave the outer 1/2-inch of crust bare. Sprinkle cheese over meat. Sprinkle sesame seeds onto edge of crust.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and Tabasco sauce.
- Remove pizza from the oven; top with tomato, lettuce and pickles. Drizzle with ketchup mixture and serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 598mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
More great pizza recipes:
- Grilled Chicken Pizza – we make this one all summer long.
- Loaded Baked Potato Pizza – cheese and bacon goodness!
- Teriyaki Turkey Pizza – for leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.
- Everything Bagel Pizza with Lox – one of Lori’s personal favorites.
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Pizza – a reader favorite.
- Italian Farmhouse Rustic Pizza – a complete meal on a pizza!
- No Yeast Buffalo Chicken Pizza from Homemade In The Kitchen
- Mushroom Pizza with Fresh Herbs from A Couple Cooks
For even more pizza creations by Jeff, check out our pizza archive!