Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing
I have an impossible time deciding my favorite dish at Thanksgiving. It’s either stuffing (which I always call stuffing, no matter if it never sees the inside of the turkey) or mashed potatoes and gravy. I think I give the slight edge to stuffing, but it’s like 51% stuffing 49% mashed potatoes.
I’ve always had dreams of a Thanksgiving dinner where I could make like two or three types of stuffing – one traditional version, one cornbread variety, and maybe one other. But, since my Thanksgiving dinner is just for six people, a second or third type of stuffing would add even MORE leftovers to the massive amount of leftovers we already end up with.
If you have any Thanksgiving guests who eat a gluten-free diet, they very well could miss out on any stuffing unless you make a special kind just for them. And I don’t want anybody to miss out on stuffing. This Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing is gluten-free, but I think ANY guest would enjoy a little scoop of it. It’s made with a mixture of green and brown lentils, and chock full of goodies like mushrooms, dried fruit, celery, onion and herbs.
The theme of today’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Kathia of Basic N Delicious, is “Lighten Up The Holidays.” Our group has come together to bring you lightened-up recipes, both for holiday meals and just regular meals to enjoy during the holiday season (or anytime). Enjoy!
Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup less-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small white onion, minced
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place water, 1 cup broth, lentils and bay leaf in medium saucepot; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are just tender, stirring occasionally. Strain lentils; remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Add celery, garlic and onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in apricots, cranberries, sage, rosemary, salt and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Heat to simmering; cook 2 minutes. Stir in lentils, cook 2 minutes or until lentils are heated through. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all the other great recipes from the Sunday Supper group!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz