Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing
I have an impossible time deciding my favorite dish at Thanksgiving. It’s either stuffing (which I always call stuffing, no matter if it never sees the inside of the turkey) or mashed potatoes and gravy. I think I give the slight edge to stuffing, but it’s like 51% stuffing 49% mashed potatoes.
I’ve always had dreams of a Thanksgiving dinner where I could make like two or three types of stuffing – one traditional version, one cornbread variety, and maybe one other. But, since my Thanksgiving dinner is just for six people, a second or third type of stuffing would add even MORE leftovers to the massive amount of leftovers we already end up with.
If you have any Thanksgiving guests who eat a gluten-free diet, they very well could miss out on any stuffing unless you make a special kind just for them. And I don’t want anybody to miss out on stuffing. This Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing is gluten-free, but I think ANY guest would enjoy a little scoop of it. It’s made with a mixture of green and brown lentils, and chock full of goodies like mushrooms, dried fruit, celery, onion and herbs.
Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup less-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small white onion, minced
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place water, 1 cup broth, lentils and bay leaf in medium saucepot; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are just tender, stirring occasionally. Strain lentils; remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Add celery, garlic and onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in apricots, cranberries, sage, rosemary, salt and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Heat to simmering; cook 2 minutes. Stir in lentils, cook 2 minutes or until lentils are heated through. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!