Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts Recipe
This Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts recipe uses a totally-worth-it two-step process to guarantee tender insides and crispy outsides. Still done in 20 minutes!
Air Fried Brussel Sprouts
Have you seen that meme about how everybody hated Brussels sprouts in the 80’s and 90’s because they didn’t have the same marketing person they have now? Back then, they were steamed and bland, but now they’re fried and flavorful!
The Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts I’m sharing today have the NEW marketing person, but with the healthful twist of air frying rather than deep frying.
Because we all know that a boiled or steamed sprout just can’t compare to a crispy one. It’s all about that deep golden brown deliciousness, and your air fryer can get it done!
Why you will love this Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- This recipe uses a special combination of microwave steaming and air frying to ensure that the insides of the sprouts are tender while the outsides are super crispy!
- Air frying requires minimal oil compared to traditional frying methods, making these Brussels sprouts a healthier alternative to restaurant sprouts that you love.
- The crispy exterior of these Brussels sprouts may convert even the pickiest eaters into veggie enthusiasts!
Air Fried Brussel Sprouts Ingredients
- Brussels sprouts – you’ll need 1 pound of sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise.
- olive oil – adds richness and helps the sprouts crisp up. You can also use vegetable oil.
- salt and pepper – to season the sprouts and enhance their natural flavor.
How to Air Fry Brussel Sprouts
- STEAM. Place the sprouts in a bowl with a bit of water. Cover with a paper towel and cook in the microwave 4 minutes.
- AIR FRY. Use a slotted spoon to move the sprouts from the bowl to the air fryer basket. Add the oil, salt and pepper to the basket and toss until everything is well combined. Cook until the sprouts are brown and crispy, tossing every 5 minutes.
How long to Air Fry Brussel Sprouts
I’ve found that 12 to 15 minutes in an air fryer set at 375 degrees F is just about right for average sized Brussels sprouts.
If you have very small or very large sprouts, you’ll want to adjust that up or down. Cooking time also depends on your desired state of brownness. I like my sprouts to be a very deep golden brown.
Home Chef Tips for Cooking Brussel Sprouts in Air Fryer
- It’s tempting, but don’t skip the microwave steaming step. No matter what temperature or how long you cook Brussels sprouts in the air fryer from their raw state, they’ll very likely get TOO dark on the outsides before the insides are tender enough to be enjoyable.
- Add some flavor by tossing the air fried Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar reduction or the lemon-maple glaze from my maple Brussel sprouts.
How to serve Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
I’ve always liked a side of Brussels sprouts with my chicken alfredo stuffed shells.
Storing Air Fried Brussel Sprouts
Store any leftover air fried Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat them in the air fryer before serving again!
Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer FAQs
If your Brussels sprouts aren’t getting crispy, it could be due to overcrowding your air fryer basket. Cook in batches, if necessary, so that the sprouts can be in a single layer.
Sogginess may be the result of excess moisture. Be sure to use a slotted spoon to move them from the steaming bowl to the air fryer basket, leaving extra water in the bottom of the steaming bowl.
Yes! Halving the sprouts exposes more surface area to heat, allowing for a crispier texture for your air fried Brussels sprouts.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Place brussels sprouts in microwave safe bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and cover with paper towel. Transfer to microwave and cook 4 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sprouts to basket of air fryer. Add oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer basket to air fryer and cook at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until desired level of browness is achieved, tossing every 5 minutes.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
*Nutrition information does not include any flavoring condiments.