Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash

Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash - Put an egg on it! | foxeslovelemons.com

I feel like this blog is sort of becoming a somewhat vegetarian blog. I realize that I post a lot of vegetarian recipes, some in the name of tricking my husband (he’s still sort of angry, by the way), others because I don’t feel they require meat. Regardless, I also really enjoy a juicy burger or a perfectly cooked steak, so I’m going to get some meaty recipes on here for all of you carnivores soon. Rooaaaarrrrr….MEAT.

Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash - Put an egg on it! | foxeslovelemons.com

I never feel deprived by a vegetarian recipe when there is a poached or fried egg on top. This sweet potato and brussels hash came about because I bought a small bag of aleppo pepper at a spice shop, and then that bag stayed pinned to my kitchen bulletin board for six months, being ignored. I finally broke it out, and was so surprised by the flavor of the pepper. It’s not as spicy as red pepper flakes, but has a spicy-fruit quality. It’s bright and interesting, and perfect on top on an egg.

Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash - Put an egg on it! | foxeslovelemons.com

Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash

Cook Time: 15 minutes

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed, halved
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 4 large eggs
  • Allepo pepper
  • Maldon sea salt

1. Heat oil in large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato; cook undisturbed for 4 minutes.
  2. Stir sweet potato. Add brussels sprouts; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are deeply browned, stirring every 2 minutes.
  3. Add 1 cup water; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add additional water in 1/4 cup increments, if necessary, until potatoes are tender.
  4. Meanwhile, heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray; crack eggs onto griddle. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are cooked through but yolks are still soft.
  5. Divide sweet potato mixture between 4 plates. Top each plate with an egg; sprinkle eggs with allepo pepper and sea salt.

This recipe originally appeared here on the Naturebox blog.

11 Responses to “Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash”

1. littleredkitchen — February 4, 2014 at 5:34 pm

So I’m reading your first paragraph and I’m thinking well as long as you top it with an egg I’m all good if there is no mean and then you wrote the same thing. Great minds. I can also live on hash and be happy.

2. Nancy — February 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I love sweet potatoes SO.MUCH. Same with fried eggs. You can slap a fried egg on anything and I’ll eat it. Brussels sprouts I just recently started eating, roasted ‘n all caramelized. So much better than the steamed, soggy brussels sprouts I was forced to eat as a kid. This look fantastic, Lori. Now bring on the streaks ‘n burgers ;)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

In my book, brussels MUST be browned in some way. The browner the better. Steamed is just wrong.

3. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 4, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I think I need to take some hash lessons from you, then. I wanted to make a hash, but then totally spaced and cut the potatoes into too-large chunks (didn’t realize they were so big until they were done cooking!). I said “oh well” and called it a hash anyway, but I still think I need some hash lessons. haha.

4. Kira - HealthAble Old Soul — February 4, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts would make such a nice breakfast! What a great combination!

5. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 5, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Thanks so much, Kira!

6. Pingback: Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce - Foxes Loves Lemons

7. Sherri@TheWellFlouredKitchen — February 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I agree that a fried egg on top of anything constitutes a meal! But I’m very curious now about that allepo pepper. Love the color.

8. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 12, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I’m kind of addicted to allepo on eggs, now! I’m so glad I found it at a spice shop. I bet you could order it online, too. It really is such an interesting flavor.

9. Pingback: Sweet Potato & Brussels Hash Recipe - RecipeChart.com