This Lemon Herb Baked Sockeye Salmon recipe is a foolproof way to prepare seafood at home. 5 ingredients + 5 minute prep time!
Based on the popularity of recipes like salmon pasta, salmon pesto pasta and salmon cakes, it seems like salmon is popular around here! I always enjoy giving my readers the recipes they are looking for.
This Lemon Herb Baked Sockeye Salmon recipe is very simple yet very delicious.
It’s great for just eating on it’s own, or as a way of cooking salmon to make another recipe, like the salmon cakes I mentioned above.
What is Sockeye salmon?
Sockeye salmon is a type of salmon mainly found in the northern Pacific ocean. It’s flesh (when raw) has a very deep red hue to it, making it easy to spot amongst the (primarily orange) salmon varieties at your seafood market.
Sockeye is slightly oilier than other types of salmon, which means it’s loaded with omega-3’s (so good for your heart!).
It has a rich flavor, so this type of salmon will probably be most enjoyed by people who really like salmon.
How to cook sockeye salmon:
As mentioned above, you really can’t go wrong when cooking sockeye salmon, but my favorite way to prepare it is in the oven.
First, I bake it at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. This will get the fish almost all the way cooked through.
Then, I will switch my oven setting to BROIL and cook it under the broiler for another 3 to 5 minutes.
I do this because I like the top of my sockeye salmon to be nice and golden brown. The broiler will also finish cooking the fish all the way through.
I recommend investing in a good instant-read thermometer so that you can check to be sure the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 145 degrees F.
The ingredients for cooking sockeye salmon are simple:
- sockeye salmon
- olive oil
- lemon juice and zest
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
What to serve on the side:
I love the combination of salmon and asparagus, so balsamic asparagus with goat cheese would be a yummy choice.
And if you’re so inclined, check out my homemade tartar sauce recipe if you like that with your fish.
- 3/4 pound sockeye salmon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush small rimmed baking pan with olive oil. Place salmon, skin side down, in center of pan.
- In small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary and thyme. Evenly spoon over salmon. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to oven and bake 8 minutes.
- Set broiler to HIGH and broil salmon 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 423mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 45g
More great salmon recipes:
- Instant Pot Salmon & Mashed Potatoes – a meal in one pot, in three minutes!
- Salmon Fresh Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce – take these to a party!
- Fish Taco Bowls with Sweet Potato Rice – healthy and flavorful to the max.
- Grilled Salmon with Sweet Jalapeño Glaze – easy recipe to bookmark for summer.
- Roasted Salmon with Spicy Apricot Glaze – one of my go-to weeknight meals.
- Smoked Salmon BLT – a home chef twist on a classic sandwich.
- Avocado Salmon Rice Bowl from Will Cook For Smiles
- Cashew Coconut Salmon Curry from The Endless Meal