Getting bored with burgers this summer? This Epic Umami Burger Recipe packs such a flavorful punch, you’ll never eat a dull burger again. Using ingredients you can find in your pantry or at any grocery store, this is a restaurant-quality burger you can easily prepare at home.
My husband and I are still chuckling about a conversation we overheard in a restaurant a few weeks ago (the tables were really close, we couldn’t help it!).
The two couples were discussing umami. I’ve talked about umami quite a bit on this blog already, as understanding this savory “fifth taste” is one of the keys to making meals taste great at home.
But this foursome had just about all of the facts wrong – they thought it was a mouthfeel (it’s really just a savory taste sometimes described as “meaty” or “earthy”), they didn’t know which ingredients included it (good bets for umami are mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, miso and soy sauce), and they even settled on pronouncing it “unani.”
Well, that uninformed conversation really inspired me to go home and create a recipe that demonstrates umami. And believe me, this Epic Umami Burger Recipe packs a powerful punch of savory flavors.
About this Epic Umami Burger Recipe:
Every single item in the burger patties was chosen to enhance flavor:
- ground beef
- anchovy paste – don’t be scared, just try it. It packs a salty (not fishy) punch.
- soy sauce
- mushrooms – you’ll be sautéing these and them pureeing them so even mushroom haters might not even realize they’re in there.
- Parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
I recommend heading to your local Family Fare or VG’s Grocery for all of the burger patty ingredients, plus any desired condiments. I like to keep an eye out for Our Family products, which are the same quality as national brands, but at a lower everyday price.
Too busy to shop? Fast Lane service has you covered at both stores. You can shop online and then pick your items up curbside!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns
- Desired condiments, such as banana pepper rings, ketchup, mayonnaise, minced onion, mustard and/or pickles
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until dark golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Transfer mushrooms to bowl of food processor fitted with knife blade attachment. Add cheese, soy sauce, anchovy paste and black pepper. Process 30 seconds or until mixture forms a fine paste.
- Preheat griddle or outdoor grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Transfer mushroom paste to large bowl; add beef. Using hands, mix until well combined. Form mixture into six patties, being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Place burgers on hot griddle. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F for medium rare doneness, turning once.
- Serve burgers on buns, topped with desired condiments.
Other delicious burger recipes:
- Cheese Board Burger
- Epic Bloody Mary Burgers
- Cheeseburger Pizza
- Hash Brown Cheeseburgers with Pickled Jalapeños from Simply Delicious
- Jameson Whiskey Blue Cheese Burger from Half Baked Harvest
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of SpartanNash. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.