I’m a big believer in making up for lost time. I didn’t really appreciate bloody marys until just a few years ago, but now I’m all like OMG it’s a drink and a snack and it’s savory and there’s vodka and let’s pretend it’s healthy because there are some vegetables here and yes please.
But, even though I’m firmly in the bloody mary fan club at this point, I still think they’re really only appropriate on Sunday mornings.
I know most bars will make you one at whatever hour of the day on whatever day of the week you want one, but it only feels right to me on Sunday morning.
Bloody mary-themed foods, though? I’m good with those all week long, and regularly make batches of my bloody mary ketchup to use a condiment for all manner of side dishes. I’m also always up for a turkey burger (or turkey burger salad).
These Epic Bloody Mary Burgers start with JENNIE-O® Lean Seasoned Turkey Burger Patties slathered in the aforementioned bloody mary ketchup.
Place the burgers on some good sesame seed buns, then top them with some juicy tomato slices for even more tomato flavor. I also threw some onion rings on top of the tomatoes, because, well, when isn’t it a good time for onion rings?
The best burgers have two condiments, and this burger has a horseradish- and Worcestershire sauce-spiked mayo to go along with the homemade ketchup. Spear everything with some celery and olive skewers, serve with pickles and Dr. Pepper baked beans, and voila! You’ve got a bloody mary on a bun, my friends.
For the Bloody Mary Ketchup:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
For the Horseradish Mayonnaise:
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Burgers & Assembly
- 1 package (16 ounces) JENNIE-O® Lean Seasoned Turkey Burger Patties (4 burgers)
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 8 onion rings, prepared
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Celery, olives and/or pickles, for garnish (optional)
- Make the Bloody Mary Ketchup: In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Add celery seed and paprika; cook 1 minute; stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, vinegar, horseradish, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and hot sauce; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to blender; puree until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 7 days.
- Make the Horseradish Mayonnaise: In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce. Horseradish Mayonnaise can be made and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days before serving.
- Make & Assemble the Burgers: Prepare burgers according to package directions, glazing with Bloody Mary Ketchup in the last minute of cooking. Serve burgers on buns topped with onion rings, tomato and Horseradish Mayonnaise. Serve garnished with celery, olives and/or pickles, if desired.
Home Chef Tip: You'll definitely have leftover Bloody Mary Ketchup after making these burgers. Serve with with french fries or roasted potatoes in another meal this week, or freeze it in ice cube trays to have individually-portioned servings of fancy ketchup in the future!
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jennie-O. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.