Everything Bagel Pizza with Lox
My husband LOVES making pizza – he grills it in the summer, bakes it in the winter, and comes up with a new flavor combo each time. In this monthly “guest post,” I’m going to sit back, relax, and maybe take the occasional photo while Jeff makes me a pizza and tells you about it. Here he is:
This month, Jeff’s guest pizza post has a secret. Shhhhhhh. This pizza is a complete Lori creation. In our town, there is this awesome family-owned bagel place called New York Bagel.
They regularly get voted as making the best bagels in Metro Detroit and there is usually a line out the door – sometimes you can wait as long as 20 minutes for a bagel. It’s totally worth it.
Lori’s favorite, by far, is the everything bagel with chive cream cheese and some lox. This bagel not only drove Lori to create everything seasoning mix for home use, but is the inspiration for this delicious pizza.
Note: this is kind of a “cold pizza” right from the get-go. While the crust is baked in a hot oven, it’s topped with all cold ingredients and is not baked again, so it cools to room temperature quickly.
This makes it a great meal for a hot day. It can also be prepared in advance, cut into even smaller pieces and served as a party appetizer!
Psst – don’t sleep on using extra bagel seasoning to make a round of bloody marys with everything bagel bloody mary rim salt!
- 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- Cooking spray and / or cornmeal (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, plus additional for garnish
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces lox, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Press pizza dough into large rectangle on pizza stone or pan (spray with cooking spray or sprinkle with cornmeal first if you’re worried about dough sticking). Bake 10 minutes or until light golden brown and almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together cream cheese, dill and chives.
- Remove crust from the oven. Brush crust with melted butter and sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning (lightly sprinkle entire crust with seasoning, but make sure to sprinkle a lot of seasoning on outside edges of crust).
- Bake 2 minutes longer or until crust is fully cooked through.
- Remove crust from the oven; spread with cream cheese. Top with tomato, onion, lox and capers. Finish with lemon juice and additional dill and chives.