Winter Cheese Board with German Beer Cheese Fondue
So lately, it’s become apparent that unique charcuterie board ideas are something of a hobby / passion project for me.
If I have a week where I don’t have much client work going on, my grocery cart is subconsciously navigated to the cheese counter of my store.
They’re so much fun to put together, they’re beautiful to photograph, and let’s face it: eating a big ol’ platter of cheese and goodies for dinner isn’t the worst thing.
So today, we’ve got a Winter Cheese Board with German Beer Cheese Fondue to talk about. Here’s what we have going on:
- German Beer Cheese Fondue (recipe below, and also so good as part of a football themed charcuterie board)
- Blue cheese – I used Bleu d’Auvergne, which is a French blue cheese for those who love a good funky cheese. Buy a big hunk and use some to make blue cheese mashed potatoes next week!
- Mild cow’s milk cheese – I used Jarlsberg, which is a Norwegian cheese, with holes much like classic Swiss cheese (so it’s also great in corned beef egg rolls).
- Random, interesting cheese – I used Red Dragon, which is an English cheddar made with Welsh brown ale and mustard seeds
- Fresh seasonal fruit, like clementines, persimmons, pomegranates and grapes or roasted grapes.
- Dried fruit, like cranberries and citrus slices
- Charcuterie, like prosciutto and sliced hard salami or sopressata
- Nuts, like pistachios or cashews
- Honeycomb or honey
- Crackers and bread
- Dark chocolate and peanut brittle, because why the heck not?
- 4 ounces Colby Jack cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Muenster cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup German beer, such as Weihenstephaner
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place cheeses and cornstarch in large zip-top bag and shake to combine.
- In small saucepan, heat garlic and beer to a bare simmer over medium-low heat. Add the cheese mixture, a small handful at a time, stirring constantly, until all cheese is incorporated and mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.