Have you ever accidentally made enough food to feed a small army? Mind you, my family is not a small army. There’s just my husband and I, and our pooch (but dogs can’t eat soup). But there I was, with a slow cooker bubbling over with FOURTEEN CUPS of soup. Um, oops.
I think the problem stems from the fact that when I make soups, I don’t start out with any measurements in mind. I just throw stuff in, eyeballing it as I go, and at the end, realize how much the ingredients have really added up. I also have a very large slow cooker (in addition to a smaller crockpot). I normally use this large one for parties where I’m serving a big batch of chili or meatballs or something. But somehow, this soup got made in the large one, and now my freezer is full of this stuff. I was able to give some of it away, but we’ll still be eating it until mid-July probably!
“Slowly Bringing In The New Year” is the theme of this week’s #SundaySupper, hosted by Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. Believe it or not, even those my freezer is brimming with soup, I can’t wait to discover more slow cookin’ recipes to get me through this frigid (!!!) Michigan winter. Maybe I can even practice my “making an appropriate amount of food for two people” skills. Or, I could just buy an extra freezer. Hmmm.
The good news is that I really won’t mind eating this soup for the next few months. It has all of the flavors of decadent Chicken Parmesan, but in a more waist-friendly vehicle. Chicken broth and crushed tomatoes are simmered with garlic, onion, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes for an aromatic base. Shredded lean chicken breast, green bell pepper and gemelli pasta fill you up. And everything is topped with a little cheese, of course.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, 1/3 cup cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.
- Transfer chicken breasts to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente.
- Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley.
Ease into 2014 with these great slow-cooker and crock pot ideas from the Sunday Supper Group!
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood