Have you ever accidentally made enough food to feed a small army? Mind you, my family is not a small army. There’s just my husband and I, and our pooch (but dogs can’t eat soup). But there I was, with a slow cooker bubbling over with FOURTEEN CUPS of soup. Um, oops.
I think the problem stems from the fact that when I make soups, I don’t start out with any measurements in mind. I just throw stuff in, eyeballing it and taking notes as I go, and at the end, realize how much the ingredients have really added up. I also have a very large slow cooker (in addition to a smaller crockpot). I normally use this large one for parties where I’m serving a big batch of pulled pork or meatballs or something. But somehow, this soup got made in the large one, and now my freezer is full of this stuff. I was able to give some of it away, but we’ll still be eating it until mid-July probably!
The good news is that I really won’t mind eating this soup for the next few months. It has all of the flavors of decadent chicken parmesan, but in a more waist-friendly vehicle. Chicken broth and crushed tomatoes are simmered with garlic, onion, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes for an aromatic base. Shredded lean chicken breast, green bell pepper and gemelli pasta fill you up. And everything is topped with a little cheese, of course.
Pssst – love slow cooker recipes? You can find a few more soups, one pot meals and side dishes straight from my crockpot here. Also, find recipes I’ve collected from all over the Internet on my Slow Cooker Pinterest Board:
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound (raw) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth, plus additional if needed
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 4 ounces (uncooked) dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, 1/2 cup cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.
- Transfer chicken breasts to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente. If soup becomes too thick after pasta is cooked, stir in additional broth until desired consistency is reached, and warm through.
- Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley.