Since we’ve been so busy lately moving between houses, a self-imposed easiest dinners ever diet of hot dogs, burgers and brats seemed like a good idea for a few weeks. But because our old house just hit the market finally, the amount of stuff that we can move has started to dwindle, as we need to leave the old house “staged” for prospective buyers.
So instead of spending every evening packing boxes and moving until we fall into bed exhausted, we’re starting to get some free time back again. And with that, comes the ability to make a dinner that isn’t served on a paper plate and devoured as quickly as possible between trips between houses.
After weeks of grilled meats sandwiched between buns, I was craving a big fresh salad. I started with a base of Earthbound Farm Kale Italia, which is a versatile mix of baby kale, tangy mizuna, arugula and radicchio. Earthbound Farm greens are a constant in my weekly shopping cart, because I know I can rely on the brand to deliver the best quality greens available, and Kale Italia is no different. I’ll be using it to add bright color and complex flavor to a wide array of recipes like pastas, pizzas and risottos.
I lightly chopped the Kale Italia blend and tossed it with a homemade pesto ranch dressing. One taste of this dressing and you’ll be hooked, I guarantee it. Not only is it perfect for salads like this, but it’s awesome spread on a sandwich or used as a dip, too! I loaded up my salad bowl with lots of fresh, vibrant toppings like avocado, small balls of mozzarella cheese, fresh cherries, sliced red onion, cooked farro, grilled chicken and pine nuts. This Chicken & Cherry Chopped Kale Salad was everything I was looking for in a summer dinner, and then some!
For a coupon good for $2 off any two (2) Earthbound Farm Organic products, please click HERE.
Chicken & Cherry Chopped Kale Salad
For the Pesto Ranch Dressing:
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
For the Chicken & Cherry Chopped Kale Salad:
- 1 package (5 ounces) Earthbound Farm Kale Italia
- 2 small grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 6 ounces pearl mozzarella cheese (or 1 ball of fresh mozzarella, diced)
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 cup pitted and halved cherries
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Make the Pesto Ranch Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, mayonnaise, pesto, parsley, dill, garlic, Worcestershire and paprika.
- Toss Kale Italia with half of dressing. Divide greens between 4 plates or bowls; top with chicken, avocado, cheese, farro, cherries, pine nuts and onion. Serve with remaining dressing.
This conversation is sponsored by Earthbound Farm. The opinions and text are all mine.