Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff #SundaySupper
The best recipes always seem to have a story behind them, and today, I have a funny one. It involves beef stroganoff, a purse and a bike ride.
This is my best friend Laurie. She likes good food and wine, even when it’s from a plastic champagne flute:
Several years ago, we lived a few blocks from each other. One night, we decided to ride our bikes across town to one of our favorite restaurants. It’s basically a little hole-in-the-wall in a nondescript strip mall near the railroad tracks. You know, that part of town. But they have amazing comfort food. Including the best beef stroganoff in the world. It’s decadent and creamy, and the meat just falls apart in your mouth.
This beef stroganoff is so rich and delicious that you can only eat a small portion of it, yet it comes in a huge portion. So, Laurie had quite a big plate of leftover stroganoff in front of her when we finished our meal. She asked for a to-go box, and was presented with one of those flimsy styrofoam clamshell-type boxes. That’s when we remembered we had taken our bikes to dinner.
Never one to waste food, Laurie decided to forge ahead anyway. She packed up her leftovers in this flimsy box, and then carefully nestled it inside of the large purse/bag she had brought. I knew exactly what was about to happen, but I couldn’t talk her out of it. We got back on our bikes and decided to ride to Dairy Queen for dessert.
As soon as we get there, I hear Laurie say “Uh oh. There’s…..a problem.” And sure enough, noodles, meat and creamy sauce was everywhere in that purse. All over her wallet, her phone and all the other accessories she was carrying. I laughed because I saw it coming, but felt bad about laughing, because the purse was really cute! I’ve lovingly referred to this situation as “The Beef Stroganoff Incident of 2008″ ever since.
This week’s #SundaySupper, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards, is about recipes that have a story behind them. This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is creamy and comforting, and a cinch to pull together. I used Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot, which lends a fruity richness to this hearty dish. Use this store locator to find a bottle yourself and serve this classic dish to your family and friends. Just warn them not to put the leftovers in their purse, under any circumstances.
Yield: 6 servings Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours Adapted from Serious Eats. Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Adapted from Serious Eats.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:
- Crepes with Sweet Wine Poached Berries by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sangria Stuffed French Toast by Melanie Makes
Mains and Sides:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Chicken Spinach and White Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Beef Braciole with Parmesan and Prosciutto by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Beef Daube by The Foodie Army Wife
- Chicken and Couscous Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Sausage and Mushroom Skillet over Goat Cheese Grits by Neighborfood
- Giambotta an Italian Veggie Stew by Country Girl In The Village
- Grilled Pepperoni Pizza by Ruffles & Truffles
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Thighs by Hip Foodie Mom
- Short Rib Ragu with Rigatoni by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spaghetti All’Ubriaco by kimchi MOM
- Tarragon Chicken by girlichef
- World’s Best Turkey Meatballs by Shockingly Delicious
Beverages and Desserts:
- Tropical Breezes Sangria by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon on a Cloud by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Merlot Cherry Cupcakes with Sweet White Frosting by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here – Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog , and help support me as I pursue a career in food photography.Yum