Caramel Apple Dessert in a Mug
Caramel Apple Microwave Mug Cake uses basic pantry ingredients to create one perfect portion of a sweet, seasonal dessert. Cooks in 90 seconds!
Mug cakes may have been a social media laughingstock for a little while (something about a sad single girl dessert?) but that’s just silly. Mug cakes are the perfect way to make an impromptu cake for one person (or more!) any night of the week.
There are a ton of varieties of chocolate, vanilla and sprinkle mug cake recipes available online, but not as many seasonal options.
This cake in a mug recipe uses both fresh apple and applesauce to create a fruit-forward fall dessert that cooks in 90 seconds, and gets even better when you top it with caramel.
Why you will love this Microwave Mug Cake
- This recipe perfectly makes one individual dessert. Or, make two, and use up the entire apple.
- Uses ingredients that your household probably already has on hand!
- A delicious seasonal alternative to chocolate mug cakes.
Caramel Apple Cake in a Mug ingredients (single serving)
Please note: The ingredient list in the recipe box at the bottom of this post makes one serving. To make more servings, grab as many mugs as you need and make the recipe in EACH mug.
- all-purpose flour – this provides the structure of the cake.
- applesauce – adds moisture and natural sweetness, and enhances the apple flavor!
- granulated sugar – sweetens the cake.
- milk – adds moisture and creates a tender cake crumb.
- baking powder – helps the cake rise light and fluffy!
- vanilla extract – enhances the depth of flavor.
- apple – provides a refreshing, fruity crunch in every bite.
How to make a Caramel Apple Mug Cake
- STIR. Add the flour, applesauce, sugar, milk, baking powder and vanilla to your mug and stir until everything is very well combined. Add the apple and stir again.
- COOK. Put the mug in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute, 30 seconds or until the cake is cooked all the way through.
- STAND. Let the cake stand 2 minutes before serving.
Cake in a Mug Recipe Home Chef Tips
- The most important thing when it comes to an apple mug cake is proper stirring, since you are stirring the ingredients together in the mug. Sometimes, with boxier or more geometric mugs, pockets of flour can get trapped in the bottom “corners” of the mugs. I find it best to use a small rubber spatula to stir up the batter in the mug, so that the spatula can get all the flour out of those corners, and incorporated into the batter.
- While microwaving, watch to make sure cake doesn’t spill over the side of the mug. As long as your mug is at least 12 ounces, you should be fine, but cake may temporarily puff up slightly higher than the top of the mugs. It should go back down without spilling over.
How to serve Caramel Apple Dessert in a Mug
It’s optional, but definitely encouraged to top your mug cake with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (or both!) and microwave caramel sauce.
You can also sprinkle it with a touch of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for an extra flourish.
Easy Mug Cake FAQs
Mug cakes can be tricky, but they’re easy to achieve if you ensure that you’re measuring your ingredients accurately, and not undercooking or overcooking. Follow the recipe closely.
Rubbery mug cakes are often the result of overmixing the batter. The more you mix, the more the gluten from the flour develops, which can make the cake tough if you overdo it. Stir only enough to combine the ingredients well, and then stop.
More Foxes Love Lemons Favorites
- 1 microwave-safe mug, 12 ounces or larger
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lunchbox-sized Gala apple, cored and finely chopped
- Microwave Caramel Sauce, for serving
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Add flour, applesauce, sugar, milk, baking powder and vanilla to mug. Stir until very well combined, making sure there are no flour pockets in the bottom "corners" of the mug. Add apple and stir until well combined.
- Place mug in microwave and cook on high for 1 minute, 30 seconds or until cake is cooked all the way through.
- Let cake stand 2 minutes before serving. Drizzle cake with caramel sauce and serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
- I find it easiest to stir this up using a small rubber spatula, which ensures no flour gets stuck in the corners of the mug.
- While microwaving, watch to make sure cake don't spill over sides of mug. Cake may temporarily puff up slightly higher than the top of the mug, but as long as cake doesn't start to spill down the side, it's fine.
- If making two or more cakes, increase cook time to 3 minutes or until cakes are cooked all the way through.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 41gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is for cake only. Does not include caramel, whipped cream or ice cream.