This week, my husband and his co-workers were apparently having a tough week at work. So, they requested that I make them a “treat.” While this sort of made me feel like a mom of a 2nd grader (instead of a wife to a 29-year-old), I figured I could use it as an opportunity to make a St. Patrick’s Day-themed dessert.
These brownies are deeply chocolaty, and the cream cheese filling, when baked, tastes like cheesecake spiked with a little kick of Bailey’s. They’re perfect for St. Patrick’s Day thanks to the Irish cream, but honestly, I’ll probably start making these all year ’round! Brownies + alcohol? Count me in for that.
For the Brownie Batter:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 4 eggs
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9x13-inch baking pan (jelly roll pan) with parchment paper; lightly spray parchment with cooking spray.
- Make the Brownie Batter: In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Place butter, sugar and water in large saucepot. Heat just to boiling over medium-high heat; remove from heat immediately.
- Whisk in chocolate chips, baking chocolate, vanilla and espresso powder; stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Slowly whisk in flour mixture; whisk until flour is fully incorporated and batter is smooth.
- Make the Cream Cheese Layer: Place cream cheese, egg, sugar, Bailey's and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer at medium speed 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour half of Brownie Batter in prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Dollop Cream Cheese Layer mixture on top of Brownie Batter; use offset spatula or knife to gently and evenly distribute. Pour remaining Brownie Batter over Cream Cheese Layer and spread evenly.
- Transfer to oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until Cream Cheese Layer is set. Transfer to wire rack; cool COMPLETELY before cutting.