Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a foolproof side dish with intense flavor, thanks to bourbon, brown sugar and cinnamon.
This Instant Pot Sweet Potato recipe couldn’t be easier
Is your stovetop full on Thanksgiving? Or do you just love using your pressure cooker?
Or, perhaps your goal is to make the most luscious mashed sweet potatoes of your life. These are the ones for you.
Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes come together quick, and with little fuss. Where the magic happens is all the things we’re going to mix into them, including bourbon, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Everybody is going to want a second scoop of these velvety sweeties, I guarantee it.
Why you will love cooking Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Intense Flavor. You may have noticed that pressure cooking intensifies the natural flavors of your ingredients. In this case, the sweetness of the sweet potato really shines.
- Foolproof Consistency. The pressure cooker ensures that the potatoes are perfectly cooked, every time.
- Saves Space on Your Stovetop. Burner space can be at a premium on holidays, so this recipe doesn’t require one.
Sweet Potatoes Instant Pot ingredients
- sweet potatoes – the star of the show! These provide a naturally creamy and sweet base for a stellar side dish.
- half and half – adds richness and creaminess.
- butter – contributes a velvety mouthfeel.
- bourbon – just a tablespoon (any of these bourbons for cooking are good) adds a subtle, complex depth of flavor and warmth.
- brown sugar – enhances the sweetness of the potatoes.
- cinnamon – infuses the dish with a warm and comforting aroma and flavor.
- salt and pepper – seasons the dish and helps bring out the natural sweetness of the potatoes.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato variations
- LOSE THE BOOZE – If you need to skip the bourbon for whatever reason, you can simply omit it, or use maple syrup in its place.
- CHANGE THE DAIRY – If you don’t have half and half, you can use heavy cream (which will make it more rich) or milk (which will make it less rich) instead.
- ADD SPICES – In addition to cinnamon, you can also add pinches of ground ginger and nutmeg to create unique flavor profiles.
How to cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
1. COOK. Put the potatoes, water and some salt in the bowl of a 6-quart Instant Pot, then secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
2. VENT AND DRAIN. When the cooking time ends, move the Pressure Release to Venting to release the steam quickly. Then, carefully drain as much excess water from the bowl as you can.
3. ADD. Add the half and half, butter, bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, black pepper and more salt to the bowl.
4. MASH. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes and combine all the ingredients until they are smooth.
How long to cook sweet potatoes in instant pot
Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. When time is up, do a quick release. This ensures that the potatoes are tender and maintain their natural flavor and moisture.
Home Chef Tips for Cooking Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
- For a smoother texture, use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes and mix-ins until they reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. You may need more salt and pepper to fit your preference.
Favorite ways to serve Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serve these Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or serve them on a weeknight to accompany a protein. Some main dish ideas include:
- Crockpot Pork Roast (pictured below)
- Country Style Ribs
- Baby Back Ribs in Oven
- Buttermilk Chicken
- Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Salmon Bites
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Instant Pot storage
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of half and half or milk added to restore their creamy texture.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes FAQs
Sweet potatoes typically take a bit less time to cook than regular potatoes due to their higher sugar content and softer texture.
Yes, sweet potatoes do become sweeter as they cook. Heat converts their natural starches to sugar. But once they are fully cooked, they are as sweet as they’re going to get, so cooking them longer will not make them any sweeter.
The high pressure environment of an Instant Pot reduces cooking time by allowing the potatoes to cook more evenly than traditional methods.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add sweet potatoes, water and 1 teaspoon salt to bowl of 6-quart Instant Pot. Secure lid and set Pressure Release to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook or Manual Setting and set cooking time for 10 minutes at high pressure (pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before cooking time begins).
- When cooking time ends, move Pressure Release to Venting to release steam. Carefully drain as much excess water from bowl as possible.
- Add half and half, butter, bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to bowl.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes and combine all ingredients until smooth.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
This website provides estimated nutrition information as a courtesy only. Nutrition information does not include any optional ingredients or toppings. You should calculate the nutrition information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.