Make-Ahead Breakfast Grain Bowls
I used to be so very much NOT a morning person that the very thought of eating breakfast would twist my stomach into a million knots.
As predicted by everyone, as I’ve gotten older, it’s gotten slightly easier to wake up early, although it’s still not my favorite thing to do.
The big difference is that now, when I wake up, my stomach is actually growling for food! When did this happen, and what do I do to quiet it down?
While my stomach may be growling, my brain is still saying “it’s too early to cook anything but coffee, so pipe down.”
That actually makes things a little easier, because I know I’m limited to grab-and-eat things like granola bars, fruit, yogurt or anything that can be made ahead (like my Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole). Ice cream French toast may be delicious on weekends but isn’t happening on a weekday morning.
These Make-Ahead Breakfast Grain Bowls with Turkey Sausage Meatballs, clearly, fall in that last category. Every element of them can be made in advance, and then stored separately in the fridge until needed.
From there, you have a few options. You can eat everything cold (which I did a few times) or you can reheat some of the elements (maybe the farro and meatballs?). Totally up to you.
To prep, all you need to do is make a big pot of farro, roast a few bell peppers (if you have extra, make a batch of fajita veggie!) and roughly chop them, slice up some green onions, soft-cook a batch of eggs, and whip up some easy-peasy breakfast meatballs (breakfast meatballs!).
Turkey sausage has less fat than traditional pork sausage, but contains so much flavor on it’s own that I didn’t need to add anything to it – I literally just opened the package, rolled it into meatballs and baked! Growling stomach, take THAT.
Air fryer turkey meatballs are also delicious in this bowl, if you’d prefer traditional ground turkey instead of turkey sausage. Even my black bean meatballs or just some bacon in the oven work well here!
- 1-1/2 cups farro
- 1 package (16 ounces) JENNIE-O® Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 2 red bell peppers
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 soft-cooked eggs
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Prepare farro according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using hands, form sausage into small balls (a little smaller than golf balls); place on rimmed baking pan. Transfer to oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches 165 degrees F.
- Using open flame of gas range (set to medium heat), roast red peppers about 5 minutes or until blackened all over, using tongs to rotate peppers as they cook. Transfer peppers to medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes. Use knife to scrape skin from peppers. Remove seeds; then roughly chop peppers.
- At this point, each prepared ingredient can be stored separately in the fridge until ready to assemble. To assemble, place 1/2 cup prepared farro in bowl. Top with 4-5 meatballs, 2 tablespoons red peppers, 2 tablespoons onions and one egg. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Home Chef Tip: Don't have a gas range? You can roast the red pepeprs using the broiler setting on your oven. Place the peppers on a rimmed baking pan, then place an inch or two from the broiler element set to HIGH. Watch very carefully (don't walk away), and use tongs to rotate the peppers so they blacken evenly.