Sheet Pan Chicken & Apple Curry
This easy Sheet Pan Chicken & Apple Curry is a complete meal on a pan, and will fill your family up with chicken, rice, fruits and vegetables. Everything goes onto a single baking pan!
People often ask me what I eat for dinner when I don’t have a recipe to develop for a client, or a photo shoot to do that day. More often than not, the answer (especially in the fall and winter) is “whatever I can make in one skillet or on one sheet pan.”
I do SO many dishes for my job throughout the work week that when it comes to dinner time for my husband and I, one pan (plus an apple cider old fashioned) sounds like enough (even though my husband actually enjoys doing dishes, like a weirdo).
While a one sheet pan dinner for us is often just a few chicken thighs, some brussels sprouts and a sweet potato, lately I’ve been experimenting with slightly more exotic (although still simple and still ONE pan) dinners. My Skillet Mac and Cheese is a favorite.
This easy Sheet Pan Chicken & Apple Curry is a complete meal on a pan, and will fill your family up with chicken, rice, fruits and vegetables. Everything goes onto a single rimmed baking pan, in different stages.
The keys to this recipe are to cut the chicken small enough to cook relatively quickly (1-inch pieces work well) and to use a few pouches of microwavable basmati rice. You don’t actually need to microwave the rice first – it will cook from steam trapped under the foil on the baking pan.
I love this recipe because of the balance of flavors. The savory chicken and curry powder, combined with the sweetness of the Fuji apples and the raisins hits the spot for me. I love this curry topped with a dollop of tangy yogurt and a sprinkle of cashews.
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) microwavable basmati rice (do not microwave first)
- 2 Michigan Fuji apples, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Cashews, cilantro and plain yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. In small bowl, stir together garlic, butter, curry powder and salt.
- Spray 13 x 18-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. Spread onion in single layer on prepared pan. Transfer to oven and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until onion is lightly browned.
- Arrange chicken in even layer over onion. Squeeze rice packages to break up any clumps of rice, then open and sprinkle rice in even layer over chicken. Drizzle rice with butter mixture. Cover pan tightly with foil and return to oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully remove foil. Add apples, peas and raisins to pan; stir until everything on pan is well combined. Cover with foil and return to oven. Cook 8 to 10 minutes longer or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully remove foil. Stir and serve with cashews, cilantro and yogurt, if desired.
More Great Apple Recipes:
- Apple Grilled Cheese – the perfect combo of sweet and savory.
- Bourbon Apple Cider Punch – great for a tailgate!
- Skillet Pork Chops with Apple Gnocchi Saute – a restaurant-quality dinner you can make at home.
- Apple Rose Tart with Peanut Butter Custard – this one is a showstopper
- Slow Cooker Carrot & Apple Soup – don’t forget the za’atar croutons!
- Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices from Mom Loves Baking
- Apple Pie for Two from Homemade In The Kitchen