Summer Fancy Toast
Looking for a light lunch or dinner that won’t weigh you down in warm weather? This Summer Fancy Toast comes together quickly and is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
If you watched the most recent season of Top Chef, you’ll know that one running gag throughout the show was that one contestant (Carrie) continually made “fancy toast,” and kept winning challenges with it!
The other contestants (mostly older, mostly male) relentless complained about it because they couldn’t beat her fancy toast with their more complicated, more sophisticated culinary creations.
Well, you know what? There’s a reason the judges loved all the fancy toast. Because sometimes at the end of a long day, there’s nothing better than the simple combination of a great piece of bread topped with fresh, flavorful ingredients.
Sure, it’s simple, but shouldn’t summer meals always be simple? I’d eat this Summer Fancy Toast for lunch every day if I could, preferably with a strawberry Moscow mule in hand. And I’d eat it for a light dinner, too, so I could save room for an ice cream stop on my evening bike ride. #priorities
About this Summer Fancy Toast:
- Start with a great loaf of bread. I chose a locally-made loaf of Italian bread. I brushed some slices with olive oil and then toasted it on a grill pan until crisp.
- For some reason, summer screams FRESH MOZZARELLA to me. Maybe because thick slices of milky, cold, soft cheese just feels right on a warm day. Whatever it is, you can’t ever go wrong with Stella Organic Fresh Mozzarella Cheese. This mozzarella makes it into my salads and Brussels sprouts pizza all year
- After the bread and mozzarella, you can kind of take your fancy toast in whatever direction you want. I went with a tropical theme of mango, avocado, shallot, fresh lime juice and a bit of arugula. You could also try combos like tomato + basil + onions, prosciutto + peaches + honey or blackberries + mint + pistachios. Honestly, when you start with great bread and great mozzarella, it’s hard to mess this up.
- 4 slices Italian or sourdough bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 ounces Stella Organic Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- Flaky sea salt
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat. Lightly brush bread with oil. Transfer bread to grill pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly charred and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, gently toss avocado, mango, shallot and lime juice until well combined.
- Place toast on plates. Divide cheese over toast and top with avocado mixture. Sprinkle with arugula, sea salt and red pepper flakes, if desired. Drizzle with additional olive oil and serve immediately.
More great fancy toast + crostini recipes:
- Summer Salad with Strawberry-Ricotta Toast – because I love strawberries and cheese together.
- Apple, Prosciutto & Figgy Goat Cheese Tartines – again, that combo of sweet + savory!
- Tomato Caesar Salad Bruschetta – I could eat these as a meal!
- Raisin Crostini with Blue Cheese & Apples – bookmark or pin this one for the fall.
- Mediterranean Tuna Tartines from A Beautiful Plate
- Buttered Brie and Heirloom Tomato Toast from Half Baked Harvest
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Saputo Cheese USA Inc. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.