Best-Ever Blueberry Muffins
Guess what? This week marks my one-year anniversary of blogging. It’s pretty hard to believe it’s been just a year, because so much has happened in 365 days. I’m crazy busy all the time between this blog, freelance works and lots of other random projects, and I wouldn’t have it any other way, because you know – loving what you do and all that. I won’t get all gushy about how much I would love to high-five each and every person reading this if I could, because I wrote you a little love letter HERE just a few weeks ago.
If you’re new around here, I named this blog Foxes Love Lemons as an ode to my maiden name (Fox) + my favorite ingredient. Many people stumbling over here probably expect to see lemon desserts every day, but I guess that’s not what this blog has turned out to be. I’ve always been more of a savory cook, and my love for lemons is really more about how great they are as a flavor enhancer to other foods (thus, why I ALWAYS have a big bowl of them in my fridge).
The greatest use of lemons as a recipe enhancer? It has to be in blueberry muffins. The first time I added lemon zest to muffin batter (after hearing a tip somewhere), it was genuinely life changing. The lemon zest made the blueberries taste more like blueberry! It was almost like a magic trick.
I call these the Best-Ever Blueberry Muffins because I have been honing and tweaking this recipe for years, and I think it’s pretty close to perfect. The two key factors are the generous amount of lemon zest in the batter, as well as the coarse sanding sugar sprinkled on top. This gives the muffins a crunchy, sweet muffin top that’s impossible to resist. Oh, and it looks sparkly too.
I hope you enjoy these muffins that I’ve cooked up to celebrate my blogoversary. I also want to celebrate by giving one of YOU a big gift! Check out the Rafflecopter below the recipe to enter to win a bounty of lemon-related kitchen tools from Williams-Sonoma!
Best-Ever Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 6 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk in 2 parts, until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups and sprinkle tops with sanding sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Food Network Kitchens.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!