Chocolate-Balsamic Macaroons #SundaySupper

Chocolate-Balsamic Macaroons - Award-winning unique cookies that take only 5 minutes to stir up.

I’m excited to be participating in my first #SundaySupper this week. Every Sunday, a team of food bloggers (like me) gather together virtually for Sunday Supper – a movement created to bring that meal back to the family table. Or, in my case, a table with my hubs and I, and a crazy dog with a one pointy ear and one floppy ear lurking behind the table.

This week, Brandie over at Home Cooking Memories is hosting an “April Showers”-themed Sunday Supper. While party hostesses will find some great ideas at the bottom of this post, you don’t have to be throwing a baby or bridal shower to join the fun. There’s awesome stuff for parties, but also delicious recipes to make for your family.

I kind of felt like a mad scientist working on the recipe I’m contributing this week. I really thought coconut, chocolate and balsamic could be good together. I think I was right.

For this recipe, I used a bottled balsamic glaze that I was given as a gift. This product can be found in gourmet markets and some grocery stores, and I love having it in the fridge, because you can drizzle a little glaze on some roasted vegetables or meat whenever the fancy strikes you. However, if you don’t have it, you can easily make your own – just put 1 cup balsamic vinegar in a very small saucepot and cook it over medium heat until it becomes the consistency of syrup. The time will vary depending on your stove, but you’ll need to watch it very carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn (I know from experience how rough it is to scrub burned balsamic off your saucepot). You’ll have the tablespoon of glaze needed for these cookies, plus some leftover glaze to keep in the fridge to jazz up an upcoming meal.

I love the way these macaroons came out – using a large pinch of sea salt insured that they hit the right note of sweet and salty, and the balsamic adds a touch of acid that makes the flavor go crazy on your tongue. The chocolate and balsamic play so well off of each other, and the coconut just adds a little nuttiness. I hope everybody loves these as much as I do.

Update: On 6/6, this recipe was chosen as a Community Pick in Food52′s “Your Best Coconut” contest and professionally photographed by James Ransom:

Chocolate-Balsamic Macaroons

Yield: 24 cookies

Chocolate-Balsamic Macaroons

• 2 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • Large pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
  • 7 ounces (2-5/8 cups) sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, whisk together egg whites, balsamic glaze, sugar and salt until mixture is frothy. Fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
  2. Drop mixture in 1-1/2 tablespoon spoonfuls onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using wet hands, gently form spoonfuls into small mounds if they don’t come off the spoon that way already. I usually do this step near the kitchen sink so I can keep re-wetting my hands (coconut doesn’t stick to wet hands as much as it does to dry hands).
  3. Bake 15 minutes or until dark golden brown. Transfer baking sheet to cooling rack and allow macaroons to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer macaroons from baking sheet to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Starters, Appetizers & Snacks

Soups, Salads & Sandwiches

Main Dishes

Cakes

Cookies, Brownies & Dessert Bars

Sweet Treats

Drink Recipes

I’d love to hear about some of your favorite shower recipes!  Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, please join us for our live Twitter chat tonight at 7pm EST using the #SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.

34 Responses to “Chocolate-Balsamic Macaroons #SundaySupper”

1. Stacy — April 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Sweet and salty is my perfect dessert! I love these and I will have to go out and buy a bottle of that balsamic glaze. I actually picked one up late week and held it for a while, trying to decided what I’d do with it. Then I put it back on the shelf. Silly me!

Glad you joined #SundaySupper!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by, Stacy! Yes, the balsamic glaze is awesome! And to be honest, I bought a small bottle of it, and have had it open (in the fridge) for nearly a year. It’s still good, and there’s still some left, because just a little bit of glaze goes a long way!

2. Jennifer@ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Balsamic glaze in a macaroon? I never seen that before and I love it! I have to give this a try!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Thanks so much Jennifer. And the best part of macaroons is how they only take 5 minutes to stir up :)

3. Suzanne — April 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

This is such an amazing, creative and delicious recipe. You hit it out of the park Lori!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 5:29 pm

Thanks so much Suzanne :)

4. Chef Di — April 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

This is genious!!! I’ve been living and breathing balsamic glazes the last 7 months and while I’ve tried a ton of combinations, I would have never thought of this!!!! Can’t wait to try it, thanks for the great post! ;-)

• Lori Yates replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Thanks so much, Chef Di! I don’t know what possessed me to give this recipe a shot, other than the fact that I had all of the ingredients on hand. But I’m so glad I did!

5. Tara — April 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I am impressed never seen this kind of use for balsamic glaze, so cool!! They look delish!!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

Thanks Tara. As I was stirring them up, I was expecting a total flop. But they were tasty!

6. Danelle M — April 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I am so intrigued by this recipe. I love all the flavors and can’t wait to see how they taste together!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 22nd, 2013 @ 11:59 pm

Thanks Danielle! If you make them, please let me know how they turn out :)

7. Jennifer B — April 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Great job on these delightful treats! I love balsamic, but am not a huge fan of chocolate at all. However, given that the vinegar is in there, I’m totally on board with making these!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 22nd, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Jennifer! I agree – I’m not a huge fan of most chocolate desserts. I’d much rather have something with (shocking, I know) lemon, or some other citrus. But the chocolate in these macaroons was actually more of a background note, so it worked for me!

8. german in pdx — April 22, 2013 at 10:49 pm

These sounds absolutely amazing! We love coconut as well as balsamico so it must be the perfect macaroon :) Thank you for sharing! ~ Bea @ The Not So Cheesy Kitchen

• Lori Yates replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:00 am

Thanks Bea!

9. Renee — April 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Brilliant touch with the balsamic added to the coconut chocolate macaroons. It wouldn’t be a good idea to get between me and a tray of these. Yummy!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Thanks Renee! They’re addictive, it’s bad! haha.

10. The Ninja Baker — April 23, 2013 at 3:31 am

Love balsamic vinegar on veggies…I bet a bite into your sweet macaroons and savory balsamic vinegar brings smiles of delight at dessert time around the Sunday Supper table =)

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 1:03 am

Thanks so much :)

11. Cindys Recipes and Writings — April 23, 2013 at 10:07 am

Very different, Lori. I love balsamic anything!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 1:05 am

Me tooooo! I have like, 4 bottles of balsamic currently in rotation right now!

12. Laura Hunter — April 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm

What a creative idea. I love balsamic vinegar but I have never tried it in a sweet recipe. I need to give this a try

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 1:07 am

Thanks Laura! I know lots of people pair balsamic with strawberries, but I hadn’t even tried that before. This was a very random concoction, and I’m just lucky it turned out as well as it did :)

13. Melanie — April 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Such an interesting flavor combination! Sounds very sophisticated and I bet I would love one with a glass of red wine. Yummy!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

Yep, they work with wine, believe me!

14. Megan Wood — April 24, 2013 at 5:55 pm

UM YUMMY! I would never think to put balsamic in macaroons. I have to give this a try.

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

Thanks Megan!

15. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — April 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Now this is an interesting addition to chocolate and coconut Lori! Who would´ve thought they would go well together? Wonderful recipe! Must try it.

• Lori Yates replied: — April 25th, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Thanks Paula! And thanks for showing me the ropes for my first SS :)

16. Tara — December 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Congrats on being in the Top 9 for Foodbuzz!!

17. Pingback: Weekend Wrap-Up: Snow Day | Floptimism