Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites

Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites. There’s always money in the banana stand. #arresteddevelopment
“There’s always money in the banana stand!!!” Who’s an Arrested Development fan out there? I treasure the original series on DVD, and re-watch the whole show through every few years (or, in a pinch, just watch the “Pier Pressure” episode (The Hot Cops!!)). I must admit that I haven’t fully gotten on board with the Netflix original episodes (I got distracted early on and started watching House of Cards instead), but I’ll get back to it soon. Be that as it may, I think AD is one of the richest, most smartly-written, funniest sitcoms ever made. From The Cornballer to Lucille Two’s vertigo, from “It’s an illusion, Michael” to life lessons with J. Walter Weatherman. From Tobias being a Nevernude to “No Touching!!!,” I love it all.

However, anything involving the frozen banana stand is my favorite bit of the show. Sadly, I don’t have a banana stand lined with hundred dollar bills, but I do have a bunch of chocolate chips and some frozen banana chunks. I’d been wanting to make my very own frozen chocolate banana bites for pretty much as long as I’ve been watching AD, and I finally crossed it off my bucket list. They’re the perfect treat to eat while you’re on a TV-watching binge being a productive member of society.

If you want some crunchy granola to sprinkle on your frozen bananas, Naturebox has the best granola I’ve ever had. Click here and use the code “FOXES10″ at checkout to receive $10 off your first box!

Frozen Chocolate-Banana Bites

Yield: 16 pieces

Frozen Chocolate-Banana Bites

• 16 small bamboo skewers or forks
  • 4 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and cut crosswise into 4 pieces each
  • 1 cup of toppings, such as Naturebox Cherry Ganache Granola, coconut, sprinkles and/or chopped cashews
  • 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Insert a skewer into the end of each banana. Place on a parchment-lined baking pan and place in freezer at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
  2. Place each topping in its own shallow bowl or plate. Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Pour some melted chocolate into a short glass or cup.
  3. One at a time, dip frozen bananas into chocolate, turning to coat and letting excess chocolate drip off. Immediately sprinkle with toppings, lightly pressing to adhere if necessary. Refill glass with more melted chocolate as needed.
  4. Place bananas back on baking pan, and re-freeze for at least 1 hour. Store in freezer for up to 4 days.

This recipe originally appeared here on the Naturebox blog

Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with NatureBox for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.

21 Responses to “Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites”

1. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — July 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

This will totally be happening TODAY.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 11:15 am

Yay! Enjoy! FYI (and this probably won’t be a problem), but make sure you eat them in 2 or 3 days. They get funky in the freezer after that for some reason. Have fun!

2. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — July 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

This will totally be happening TODAY.

3. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

4. Suzanne — July 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Love frozen banana’s. Look delicious! I agree about AD, but have to admit I have not watched religiously. Must catch up, I noticed it’s streamed on netflix now.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

I think getting hooked on AD is a perfect activity for a cold winter weekend ;)

5. Suzanne — July 9, 2013 at 6:01 pm

6. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I think getting hooked on AD is a perfect activity for a cold winter weekend ;)

7. Nancy — July 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I don’t know why I never jumped on the AD band wagon. I watched a few episodes while it was still on air and thought they were hilarious. I need to go on a binge and watch the entire series on Netflix. After I’ve made these adorable, delicious frozen banana bites so that I can gorge on them. They’ve got fruit, so they’re healthy!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 10th, 2013 @ 11:16 am

And they’re bite-sized, so they’re doubly healthy :) AD is great, and it’s definitely binge-watching worthy. I can watch like 10 episodes in a row! I usually save it for crappy winter weekends when there’s nothing better to do.

8. Nancy — July 10, 2013 at 12:14 am

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm

10. onlinepastrychef — July 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I had to click over from foodgawker simply because of the banana stand Arrested Development reference! Good one! =)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — July 11th, 2013 @ 9:56 am

Haha, thank you! Always nice to have a fellow AD lover visit :)

11. onlinepastrychef — July 11, 2013 at 1:51 am

12. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 11, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Haha, thank you! Always nice to have a fellow AD lover visit :)

13. Lisa Jorgensen — March 20, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hi Lori! I love this idea. We have highlighting some recipes on my blog Pebbles and PIggytails for Something on a Stick Day on March 28th. We would love to link back to your site and use a photo (watermarked of course) of this recipe. Please let me know if that is okay with you.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — March 20th, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

That’s great Lisa, thanks so much for asking!

• Lisa replied: — March 23rd, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Thank you! The post will go out on March 27th.

14. Pingback: 30 Recipes Of Chocolate Art You Should Try Now