Lemon Cardamom Coconut Granola
I know I talked on Monday about how I’m really more of a savory vegetable person, with fruity detours only rarely. Well, it turns out that the mango pineapple sangria really whetted my appetite for fruit, because I’ve been craving fruits of all kinds ever sense. My breakfasts for the past few weeks have been bowls of creamy Greek yogurt, mountains of fruit, drizzles of honey, and this Lemon Cardamom Coconut Granola for crunch.
Through my partnership with Milk Means More, I’ll be bringing you brunch recipes this month, and this granola is the perfect addition to any brunch buffet. It takes just a few minutes to stir together plus some oven time. The crunchy combination of rolled oats, sliced almonds and coconut flakes is tossed with a sweet mixture of honey, lemon zest, cardamom and vanilla.
If you’ve never cooked with cardamom before, now is the time to give it a try. It is a member of ginger family, and to me, it tastes very citrusy (meaning it pairs well with the actual citrus zest in this recipe). Cardamom can be a bit expensive, but a little bit goes a long way toward adding an interesting, exotic flavor to your meals. It really does “spice” up my yogurt and granola routine. Pun intended. Feel free to roll your eyes now.
The dairy products used in this Lemon Cardamom Coconut Granola were produced by members of the United Dairy Industry of Michigan. For more information on UDIM and to find out why Milk Means More, please visit their website and connect with them on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
Lemon Cardamom Coconut Granola
Yield: Makes about 3-1/4 cups granola
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and honey, for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. In large bowl, stir together oats, coconut and almonds. In small bowl, whisk honey, butter, lemon zest, vanilla, cardamom and salt until well combined. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture and stir until very well combined (all oats should be moistened).
- Pour granola mixture onto prepared pan and spread evenly. Transfer to oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer pan to cooling rack to cool granola completely before transferring to sealed container and storing up to 1 week.
- Serve granola with yogurt, fruit and honey.
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Disclosure: As a Milk Means More Ambassador, this post was sponsored by The United Dairy Industry of Michigan. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries … lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.