Seven Minute Huevos Rancheros

This blog series is called “If I Liked It, Then I Should Have Put A [3] Ring [Binder] On It.” I know, naming blog posts after a 5-year-old Beyonce song makes me a huge loser, but until somebody tells me to cut it out, I’m just going to go with it. The title just means that I try out a lot of recipes from magazines and websites – only the ones I really, really like go into a 3-ring binder to keep for the future and make again.

The next recipe I’m highlighting is a meal I make at least once a month (and sometimes, like, once a week). It’s the fastest dinner in my repertoire that doesn’t involve the words “bowl of cereal.”

Recipe: Real Simple’s Skillet-Poached Huevos Rancheros (click to be taken to the full recipe)

Skillet-Poached Huevos Rancheros - It's cheap. It's vegetarian. It takes 7 minutes to make. It includes runny egg yolks. And it tastes awesome.

Background: Embarrassingly, at one point, I was a Real Simple subscriber. Laugh away, it was a free subscription I got from somewhere. Most months, I flipped right past the numerous “how to organize your basement/garage/linen closet/life” articles and went right to the recipes. And I’m not at all ashamed to say that some of them were pretty great. They published a cranberry sauce recipe that to this day, I still use for Thanksgiving Dinner. And there was also this gem.

What I Like: It’s cheap. It’s vegetarian. It takes 7 minutes to make. It includes runny egg yolks. The only dishes involved are one skillet, a cutting board, and a knife. It’s a great meal for 1 or 2 people. And it tastes awesome.

What I Change: I’ve made it about 75 times without making any changes. Sometimes, I’ll add a squeeze of fresh lime juice over the top, but only if I have a lime on hand.

I’ve found that the best salsa to use for this is jarred (cheapo) salsa, like Chi’s-Chi’s or Pace, preferably the thick & chunky variety. If you try to use fresh refrigerated salsa, there will be a lot of excess liquid, and when you pick up your tortilla to eat, a bunch of salsa water will come out the end. Gross. If you DO need to use fresh salsa, I would recommend that you put it in a fine mesh strainer for about 10 minutes before you use it, to try to get rid of some of the extra liquid.

The recipe as written says it feeds 4, which may be true if you’re making this for brunch. But for dinner, Jeff and I can pretty much polish off the whole recipe, just the two of us (no side dishes needed). Also, I’ve found that you’ll need more than 4 small tortillas (at least 6) to use up all of the bean mixture.

Real Simple says this huevos rancheros takes 15 minutes to make, but I’ve reduced it to 7. Here’s how: Minutes 1 – 3: put the beans and salsa in the skillet and crank the heat up to medium-high. It’ll get hot fast. Minutes 4 – 7: reduce heat to medium, crack your eggs into the bean mixture, season the eggs with salt and pepper, cover with a lid, and cook another 3 to 5 minutes or until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny. While the eggs cook, chop your green onions and cilantro, put the sour cream on the table, and heat some tortillas in the microwave. Sit down and enjoy the fruits of your 7-minute labor.

What recipe have you discovered in a magazine or online that you make again and again? Tell me about it in the comments!

All entries in the “If I Liked It, Then I Should Have Put A [3] Ring [Binder] On It” Series:

25 Responses to “Seven Minute Huevos Rancheros”

1. Liz — June 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I did the same thing for the year I subscribed to Real Simple! But I don’t think I ever tried one of the recipes :/ Love these quick delicious dinners!!! It looks wonderful.

PS…regarding my props, yes, that is a fleur de lis. Long story, but they were table decorations for a fundraiser that have been in my basement for a long time. Figured I’d put a couple to use :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 25th, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

I love it! Wish I could find sweet stuff like that in my basement for prop purposes :)

2. Liz — June 26, 2013 at 1:04 am

3. Suzanne — June 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm

7 minutes, love a quick and easy breakfast. Huevos Rancheros is wonderful, must try this, There are several recipes that I make all the time that I got from magazines, Martha Stewart had an applesauce coffee cake that has become a tradition for me every fall making it mutilple times during apple season.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 25th, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

Oh, applesauce coffee cake sounds great. Is it this one?

I have a friend who makes fresh applesauce every fall and gives me some, so I could start with that this year, and then try this cake out!

• Suzanne replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 6:48 am

Yes that’s the one, I make homemade apple cider applesauce The cake is amazing, has a crumble topping that melts into the cake. So moist and delicious.

4. Suzanne — June 26, 2013 at 2:32 am

5. Suzanne — June 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

6. The Hubs — June 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This is such an easy and delicious meal … Lori taught it to a coworker of mine, literally, as his first cooking lesson ever. He now makes it every couple weeks as a quick dinner.

7. The Hubs — June 27, 2013 at 1:31 am

8. Regina — June 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I made this for dinner and just finished eating it! So good and so easy, which is exactly what I need when I am eating dinner at 8:30 pm. I know I will be eating this at least once of week, since I tend to be a “bowl of cereal” girl on weeknights. :) Thanks!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

Yayyyy! I’m so glad somebody else is hooked on it now!

9. Regina Bruttomesso — June 28, 2013 at 12:30 am

10. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 28, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Yayyyy! I’m so glad somebody else is hooked on it now!

11. John Clayton — August 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm

That looks like Sunday’s breakfast’s sorted. Double it up, stick it in the massive black-iron pan that’ll fit fried eggs for 8 people… Golden. Thanks!

12. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Awesome, John! Let me know how it turns out.

13. John Clayton — August 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

14. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Oh, applesauce coffee cake sounds great. Is it this one?

15. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

16. Pingback: Wild Rice with Asparagus, Marinara and Poached Egg

17. Pingback: Martha Stewart’s Pie and Tarts

18. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Bread from "Tyler’s Ultimate"

19. Pingback: Dark Chocolate and Dried Cherry Oatmeal Cookies - Foxes Loves Lemons

20. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Cupcakes from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes - Foxes Loves Lemons