The Oscars are less than a week away! I love love LOVE movies, especially the good ones (I can take or leave most blockbusters). I get as excited about the Oscars as most people do about a big football game. My version of fantasy football is making my friends and family fill out Oscar ballots, which add an element of competition to the proceedings. And of course, Oscar season gives me a good excuse to ignore the cold weather and cozy up inside a dark theater, seeing as many of the Best Picture nominees as I can.
My favorite so far as been Spotlight, but there’s still a few I need to see. I have always and will always love Matt Damon, and I thought The Martian was fun to watch, but maybe not so much an Oscar-worthy movie. #opinions
I’m sure it comes as a surprise to no one that I go all out with party food for Oscar night. I’m not one for super fussy or fancy foods, but I think the Oscars are a good opportunity to go a little more upscale than you would on, say, game day.
True, I’m still serving sliders. But, instead of burger patties, I’m going for steak this time. Make that deeply flavorful marinated skirt steak. Topped with Swiss chard that has been lovingly massaged with lemon juice and horseradish. Plus La Terra Fina Chunky Artichoke Parmesan Garlic Dip, spread on potato slider rolls. This dip is full of rich Parmesan cheese and savory garlic, and big BIG chunks of artichoke! It’s the perfect topping for these upscale sliders for Oscar night.
Steak Sliders with Artichoke Spread & Horseradish Greens
For the Steak:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut crosswise into 6-inch wide pieces
- Vegetable oil
For the Horseradish Greens:
- 4 cups shredded Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 8 potato slider buns
- 1 package (10 ounces) La Terra Fina Chunky Artichoke Parmesan Garlic Dip
- Make the Steak: In small bowl, whisk together garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Place steak in shallow baking dish; pour marinade over. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight, turning once if possible.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Heat large cast iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add just enough vegetable oil to lightly coat skillet and transfer steak to skillet. Cook 90 seconds per side, turning once. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 5 minutes. Transfer steak to cutting board; cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Make the Horseradish Greens: Place chard, lemon juice and horseradish in large bowl. Using hands, gently massage horseradish and lemon juice into chard for about a minute.
- To assemble, divide sliced steak between bottoms of buns. Top with Horseradish Greens. Spread tops of buns with dip and place over greens. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Get that cast iron skillet SCREAMING hot before adding the oil and steak. Since the steaks are only cooked on the stovetop for 90 seconds per side, a hot pan will give you a nice crust, quickly. And crust = flavor.
Disclosure: As a Food Lovers ambassador, this post was sponsored by La Terra Fina. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.