Guacamole Quinoa with Mango
Do you guys remember my Guacamole Rice? In the short history of Foxes Love Lemons, it’s definitely been one of my most popular recipes. While I’m still unsure if I actually invented this concoction (although I think just maybe, I might have), it’s been really exciting to see people make the recipe (with rice and other grains) and blog about it themselves. Like here and here.
While my original recipe noted that in lieu of rice, you could use quinoa, barley or couscous, I hadn’t actually tried those variations yet. I just knew they would work. I know, sneaky. Until now. I whipped up a batch of Guacamole Quinoa, and even added some chopped ripe mango for a little variety! It’s the spice of life, ya know.
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced (or 2 avocados if you REALLY like avocado!)
- Juice of 1-1/2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with press, or minced and ground into a paste with back of knife
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (add some of the seeds for more heat)
- 1/2 ripe mango, diced
- 3/4 cup baby tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In medium bowl, mash together avocado, lime juice and salt. Add remaining ingredients; toss to combine well. Serve warm or chilled.
Need a snack while your quinoa is cookin’? If so, you may want to give Naturebox a try – click here and use the code “FOXES10″ at checkout to receive $10 off your first box!