This apple slaw is unique twist on classic coleslaw with a touch of sweetness. The perfect side dish to just about any summer entrée!
Do you have any strong opinions about coleslaw? Some people like it creamy, others like it vinegary. I’m sure some people will only use green cabbage, whereas others might throw in some red cabbage (or even brussels sprouts). Honestly, I pretty much like all coleslaw, but I like it best when it’s not TOO creamy, but a balance between creamy and vinegary.
Sometimes I like my coleslaw with a touch of sweetness to balance out something else on my plate that might be spicy (like Harissa Barbecue Chicken, coming soon!).
This Sweet Celery Seed Apple Slaw is one of those versatile slaw recipes that will work for just about every meal, all through the summer and fall. I got wild and used both red and green cabbage, along with some carrots and a bit of green onion. Then, for a unique twist on classic slaw, I grated a Michigan Gala apple (my favorite variety for cooking) into the bowl. The snappy, slightly sweet flavor of the apple adds a special touch to the slaw.
The dressing is a simple mixture of mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, and celery seeds. Celery seeds are commonly used to make pickles and brines, and sometimes show up in bloody marys, too. The seeds are tiny, but they pack a powerful flavor punch of concentrated celery, adding yet another layer of flavor to this slaw.
For the Dressing:
For the Slaw:
Epic Barbecue Party Recipe Schedule:
- Wednesday, July 12th: Epic Barbecue Party Overview
- Thursday, July 13th: Sweet Celery Seed Apple Slaw
- Thursday, July 20th: Triple Berry Crisp Bars
- Monday, July 24th: Harissa Barbecue Chicken
- Thursday, July 27th: Good Midwestern Potato Salad + Millionaire’s Fruit Salad
- Monday, July 31st: Grill-Roasted Antipasto Packets
- Vanilla Lemonade <— click for recipe
Other Barbecue & Picnic Ideas:
- Heirloom Tomato & Beet Salad
- Summer Vegetable Pepe Pasta Salad
- Roasted Mexican Street Corn Salad
- BBQ Party Dinner Bowls
- Beer Brats with Beer Queso
- Grilled Lamb Sandwich Platter
- Blackberry Tequila Mojito
- Cherry & Ginger Prosecco Spritz
- Grilled Stone Fruit with Pomegranate Syrup
- Peach Pie Ice Cream Bars
Making one of these recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on social media with the hashtag #FLLEpicBarbecue
Disclosure: This was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the Michigan Apple Committee. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.