Lemon Bourbon Cocktail with Rosemary
This Bourbon Lemon Rosemary Cocktail is a modern twist on a classic bourbon sour recipe. With herb-infused simple syrup and a bright citrus flavor, it’s perfect for happy hour.
A Bourbon Lemon Cocktail perfect for happy hour
A well-made bourbon sour (or bourbon smash drink) is a refreshing joy to drink. Made with bourbon and a generous amount of simple syrup and lemon juice, it’s sweet while still being well, sour.
But what if you could elevate the experience even more? This Bourbon Rosemary Cocktail only requires adding a few sprigs of rosemary to the pot while you’re making the simple syrup.
Today, we’re using it for a sophisticated yet approachable twist on a classic bourbon sour.
Why you will love this Lemon Bourbon Rosemary Drink
- A great way to use up extra rosemary you have on hand.
- A way to elevate even a not-so-luxe bottle of bourbon.
- Super easy measurements and no special bartending skills required.
Bourbon Sour Recipe Ingredients
- rosemary simple syrup – this bourbon sour recipe truly starts with my recipe for homemade Rosemary Infused Simple Syrup. That post gives you all the details you need!
- bourbon – you’ll need 8 ounces of bourbon for 4 (yes, pretty strong!) cocktails.
- lemon juice – the fresh stuff, squeezed from fresh lemons. I don’t recommend the juice from the plastic lemon for this rosemary cocktail.
- rosemary sprigs and/or lemon slices – optional garnishes for each glass.
Best Bourbon for this Rosemary Cocktail
There’s really no need to break out the super high end, sipping bourbon for this bourbon lemon cocktail, but it should be a good middle of the road bourbon.
I usually use Bulleit. Some other great choices for this rosemary drink are Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses.
How to make a Bourbon Sour with Lemon and Rosemary
- Start by making and cooling the rosemary simple syrup if you haven’t already.
- Put the simple syrup, bourbon and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker and fill it up with ice. Cover it up and shake shake shake!
- Fill 4 glasses with ice and strain the mixture from the shaker into the glasses.
- Garnish the cocktail and serve.
Home Chef Tips for mixing a Rosemary Cocktail
- Adjust the sweetness of this lemon bourbon cocktail to your personal preference by increasing or decreasing the amount of simple syrup used.
- Dried lemon slices are a unique garnish for this rosemary bourbon cocktail that will truly make you feel like you’re at a fancy bar. Make your own dried lemon slices, or buy a container.
How to serve this Bourbon Lemon Cocktail
If you’re in the mood for charcuterie or a big party platter to serve with this rosemary drink, try one of my charcuterie board ideas.
Bourbon Lemon Rosemary Drink FAQs
To minimize the bitterness of rosemary, trim any excess woody stem parts off of each sprig, if you can.
Rosemary’s aromatic qualities and earthy undertones add complexity and elegance to beverages like this rosemary bourbon sour recipe.
While both cocktails feature whiskey, a Whiskey Sour is a sweeter drink featuring citrus juice (like lemon) and a sweetener (like simple syrup), while an Old Fashioned is a more spirit-forward drink made with whiskey, sugar and bitters.
More Foxes Love Lemons Favorites
- 8 ounces (1 cup) bourbon
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Rosemary Simple Syrup
- Ice cubes, for shaking and serving
- 4 small rosemary sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Add bourbon, lemon juice and simple syrup to large cocktail shaker. Top shaker with ice; cover and shake well.
- Fill 4 double old fashioned glasses with ice; strain bourbon mixture into glasses. Serve cocktails garnished with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g
This website provides estimated nutrition information as a courtesy only. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.