This Lemon Smoothie is like sunshine in a bottle! Yogurt, lemon, honey, ginger and turmeric will wake you up on a sleepy morning.
Winter, man. It’s dragging on, isn’t it? The only thing getting me out of bed lately is knowing that this Sunshine in a Bottle Lemon Smoothie is only a few minutes away once I get downstairs. As you know, lemon is my favorite flavor, so it’s kind of like I’m waking up to my favorite food.
Every single ingredient in this smoothie (well, except the ice) is engineered for maximal bright, zingy flavor and health benefits. That’s right, I engineered this smoothie. My husband is a mechanical engineer, and I’m a food engineer.
About this Lemon Smoothie recipe:
Start with a scoop of French vanilla yogurt or vanilla flavored Greek yogurt to get your probiotics for the day, and create a subtly sweet, creamy base for this smoothie. Next, grab a big ol’ lemon and zest it into your blender, then squeeze in the lemon juice.
Add a spoonful of honey (agave nectar and maple syrup are also acceptable) for further sweetness that will counteract the bright acidic nature of the lemon. Honey will also give you a natural energy boost in the morning.
Have some sore muscles from your workout yesterday? Shoot, I have a sore neck just from sleeping on it wrong. That’s what the fresh ginger is for. Ginger can be used as a natural pain reliever for muscle soreness.
Finally we have a pinch of ground turmeric, which could help fight off a cold if needed!
Can I make this Lemon Smoothie vegan?
Sure! Use a non-dairy yogurt alternative (such a yogurt made with almond milk or soy milk) in place of the yogurt, and substitute maple syrup or agave nectar for the honey.
What if I can’t find fresh ginger for this lemon smoothie?
While the flavor won’t be quite as bright and fresh, ground dry ginger can be used in place of fresh ginger in this recipe. 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger will do the trick.
- 1 cup low fat French vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In blender, combine all ingredients; blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 78mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 34g Protein: 6g
Other great smoothie recipes:
- High Protein Cocoa Smoothie – try this one to satisfy a chocolate craving in a healthier way
- Citrus Zing Green Smoothie Bowl – almost too beautiful to eat, but not quite 🙂
- Berry & Beet Smoothies – vibrant nutrition in a bottle. check out the natural magenta color!
- Tropical Sun Smoothie – a vacation in a glass. you’ll be transported to a beach somewhere.
- Mocha-Banana Breakfast Smoothie – readers love this one in the morning!
- Cinnamon Roll Smoothie from Family Fresh Meals
- Apple Pie Smoothie from Ahead of Thyme