So, I have something to confess when it comes to slow cooker recipes. Even though most people seem to prefer (they even beg me for!) slow cooker recipes where you just dump all the ingredients into the pot, set the timer for eight hours, and then dig in – those are not my favorite. Yes, they are simple and quick to prepare and don’t require many dishes. It works well for soups, and if you like that method, you’ll like my Slow Cooker Lentil & Sausage Soup.
But I find that many slow cooker recipes end up tasting, for a lack of a better description, “one note.” Everything that comes out of the pot just tastes the same, bite after bite. Especially with poultry and meat dishes. So lately, I’ve been relying on the slow cooker for an easy way to cook tender meat, and then throwing a flurry of fresh ingredients at the situation after it finishes cooking, for a much livelier and more inviting meal.
These Slow Cooker Thai Turkey Noodle Bowls are a perfect example of MY idea of a great slow cooker recipe. I started by putting a package of JENNIE-O® All Natural Turkey Breast Tenderloin in the slow cooker, along with with some coconut milk, peanut butter and soy sauce. After a low and slow eight hours, the turkey should be practically falling apart and ready to be shredded with a fork.
Toss the shredded turkey with some rice noodles, cabbage, carrot and cucumber, and then jazz things up. Cilantro, mint, green onions, peanuts, serrano peppers, lime juice and hot sauce are all great options here. You can even prep these garnishes a day in advance so that the moment the slow cooker beeps that it’s done, you’re ready to eat. Add as many or few garnishes as you wish, and then dig in!
JENNIE-O® All Natural Turkey Breast Tenderloin is tender, versatile and all natural, and works great in a variety of recipes. Plus, it’s 99% fat free and doesn’t contain gluten. What’s not to love? Be sure to connect with Jennie-O on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Slow Cooker Thai Turkey Noodle Bowls
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 package (24 ounces) JENNIE-O® All Natural Turkey Breast Tenderloin
- 1 package (14 ounces) stir-fry rice noodles
- 2 medium carrots, shredded or or cut into ribbons using a peeler
- 1/2 English cucumber, shredded
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
- Chopped cilantro, chopped mint, chopped peanuts, sliced green onions, sliced serrano peppers, hot sauce and/or limes, for serving
- In slow cooker, stir together coconut milk, peanut butter and soy sauce. Add turkey and stir until well combined. Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours.
- Remove turkey from slow cooker with slotted spoon; transfer to cutting board and coarsely shred. Transfer shredded turkey to large bowl and cover to keep warm. Turn slow cooker off. Leave liquid in slow cooker with lid off. Liquid will thicken as it sits while you prepare the noodles.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and add noodles to bowl with turkey. Add carrots, cucumber, cabbage and some of the liquid from the slow cooker; toss until well combined. Add more liquid from slow cooker to reach desired level of "sauciness."
- Divide noodle mixture between 6 bowls and serve with cilantro, mint, peanuts, onions, peppers, hot sauce and/or limes.
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jennie-O. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.