Appetizing and Wonderful (A & W) Root Beer Ribs #SundaySupper

Appetizing & Wonderful (A & W) ROOT BEER Ribs

Let’s get low and slow for a quick second. That’s the theme for this week’s #SundaySupper that’s being hosted by Susan at The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen. While I love slow-cooked and long-simmering items like ragu and stews, I think my favorite low and slow item has to be baby back ribs. I don’t make them often – maybe once a year, which makes it feel more special when I do eat them.  Now, with my obsession with “House of Cards,” I make them whenever a new season is released on  Netflix. A “House of Cards” watching binge requires Frank Underwood’s favorite food!

I adapted this recipe from the best rib recipe I’ve ever made – Dr. Pepper Ribs from Men’s Health. They are sweet and tangy, and fall-off-the-bone tender. I knew if Dr. Pepper would work, so would root beer. The cool thing about this recipe is that people can’t really tell you used root beer – it’s not a flavor you can pick out and identify in the finished product. All you know is that the ribs are amazing, and there’s a secret ingredient.
I’ll leave you with the photo my husband thought looked like two racks of ribs making sweet, sweet, low & slow love. Yeah, he’s hilarious.

Appetizing & Wonderful (A & W) ROOT BEER Ribs

• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Place ribs in large baking dish (I use my big roasting pan. I also generally cut each rack in half so I can get everything nestled in the pan easier). Pour all but 1 cup root beer over ribs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons salt over ribs; cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight, turning once if possible.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove ribs from root beer and pat dry with paper towel. Discard root beer in pan; wipe pan dry. Place ribs back into pan. Add 1 cup water; cover tightly with foil. Cook 2 hours or until meat is nearly falling off the bone.
  3. Meanwhile, make Root Beer Barbecue Sauce: In small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients (including reserved 1 cup root beer and 1/2 teaspoon salt); heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
  4. Just before ribs hit the 2 hour mark in the oven, preheat grill for indirect grilling over medium-high heat. Put bones on cooler side of grill, bone side down. Brush with some Root Beer Barbecue Sauce and cook 10 to 15 minutes, then flip. Brush with sauce again and cook until ribs are lightly charred and meat is falling off bone. Serve with any remaining sauce. Bring wet-naps to the table.

Adapted from Men's Health

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

Low & Slow Breads & Starters:

Low & Slow Mains:

Low & Slow Sides:

Low & Slow Desserts:

Wine Pairing Recommendations for Low & Slow Food from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

I’d love to hear about your favorite food that is cooked low and slow!  Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, please join us for our live Twitter chat tonight at 7pm EST using the #SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.

33 Responses to “Appetizing and Wonderful (A & W) Root Beer Ribs #SundaySupper”

1. Cindys Recipes — May 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

Great combo Lori. Root beer in dishes is so good. Its one of those flavors that makes people say, “Hmm what makes this taste so good?

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Thanks Cindy! I think “secret” ingredients are awesome :)

2. Cindy Kerschner — May 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm

3. Jennifer Drummond — May 19, 2013 at 9:43 am

Your ribs look amazing!! They are calling to me!!! I haven’t had ribs in so long, now I must make them!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I hope you enjoy them! Ribs are just SO good every once in awhile.

4. Jennifer Drummond — May 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm

5. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — May 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

These look freaking awesome Lori! I don´t have root beer here, but I´m guessing beer will work just fine.! (You´re not on the updated list, did you miss the posting deadline? just wondering..)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

Thanks Paula! I think beer would work just fine, for sure. Maybe add a touch of molasses to try to replicate some of the root beer flavor?

And yeah, I had my post scheduled to go up on time this morning, and for some reason, it just didn’t. I blame Blogger. Oh well :(

6. Chris Baccus — May 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I’m always looking for new bbq recipes. I’ve seen a few using Cherry Coke or Cherry Dr Pepper but never Root Beer. Looks good.

7. Chris Baccus — May 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

8. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Cindy! I think “secret” ingredients are awesome :)

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm

10. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

11. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Chris! Now I want to try Cherry Coke, too!

12. Brooke Schweers — May 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Wow these look amazing! My boyfriend would go crazy over them. I might have trouble finding Root beer in Australia ill be on a mission to hunt it down so I can try these :)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

Thanks Brooke! This recipe would work perfectly with any type of cola if you don’t end up finding that root beer :)

13. Brooke Schweers — May 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm

14. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 21, 2013 at 2:50 am

15. littleredkitchen — May 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm

These ribs look awesome! I don’t drink soda, so I never have it around nor think about using it in sauce but I bet it tastes really good and lends a flavor profile you just can’t put your finger on!

16. Susan P. — May 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm

17. MommiFried — May 22, 2013 at 10:53 am

Looks delicious! Just bookmarked. Please feel free to share with our G+ community, The Crock Pot Crowd. We welcome posts from bloggers. :) http://bit.ly/Zmy5vZ

18. MommiFried — May 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

19. The Wimpy Vegetarian — May 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm

What a great idea! My hubby would love, love, love these!!!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

Thanks Susan! It works with ANY cola type thing – root beer, Dr. Pepper, Coca-Cola, etc. Probably not Pepsi though, because Pepsi is gross. haha :)

20. Susan Pridmore — May 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

What a great idea! My hubby would love, love, love these!!!

21. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm

22. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — August 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

23. Eric Mortenson — November 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

I admit I was a little disappointed you discarded the root beer in step 2. Doesn’t “raw pork-infused root beer” just sound like a missed opportunity?

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

Hmmmm, I think I’ll pass but you feel free to keep it, Eric ;)

24. Russell Murphy — March 3, 2014 at 6:10 am

I do love root beer and ribs, but always love experimenting with substitutions. I bet ginger-ale in place of the root beer would be good.

25. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — March 3, 2014 at 9:16 am

I’ve tried root beer ribs and Dr. Pepper ribs, and now I really want to try ginger ale ribs! I bet those would be really good, Russell! Maybe they could have an Asian flair to them?

26. Pingback: 20 Simple Yet Special Recipes for Memorial Day - Foxes Loves Lemons